ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Chain cleaning

Discussion in 'Chain Sharpening' started by Ron660, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

When I was i school shop we had a teacher that taught me how to sharpen drill bits. That alone has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. Being able to sharpen your own tools is a valuable skill.

2. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Operative

Years ago I was so busy I dropped my chains off at the saw shop. It cost maybe 5 bucks back then. Then I guess they were training a new guy and when I picked up my NEW EXPENSIVE chain it was almost no teeth. It looked worn down like an old chain. They assured me that's my chain. I was polite. I always am. But started filing at night. At first it was not nice. Smoked a few chains but kept at it. Read about How To. Ask others to help. Finally I started getting sharp chains. It's a long learning process. I built a device to put chains on to sharpen. Made my own angle guide. Learned to gently pull up into the tooth. Learned to file my rakers. Bought a small flat file to set the tooth angle of the damaged teeth. Some teeth tend to round with wear. Learned how to balance, left, right cutters. Always make a test cut and resharpen if I'm not satisfied. For years I'd sharpen chains and friends chains on a weekend. Kinda like a chain filing party. The more chains the better I got. Finally I said, ok. No more free filing. Once in a while I will but only 1 at a time. Have a great day.

Philbert likes this.
  3. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

No question, you can ruin a good chain with a grinder. I can also ruin a good chainsaw in seconds, or drive a new pickup truck right into a tree. Just takes a few seconds. Anyone want to lose a bet? Give me a new chain and a sharp file, and I will 'ruin' each cutter with less that 2 strokes, IF I don't do it 'right'. Grinders just let folks sharpen (or destroy) a chain faster!

To paraphrase the Second Amendment guys, 'grinders don't ruin chains; guys who don't know how to grind ruin chains'.

Grinding, filing, different guides, etc.: they all take practice to develop skill. Everyone has to find something that works for them.

P.S. - I would still want a clean chain even if I was filing!

Philbert

4. Wow

Yes, fully agree.
    I use a brush AND compressed air to clean, chain Before and After filing. Then entire saw gets cleaned. One thing I've seen is guys pouring gas out of dirty containers. I carry a brush and clean cloth. Everything is cleaned before oil or gas goes in. My fuel is mixed then divided into 1 gallon containers. Fuel is stored in those gallon containers in a clean ice chest setting under ground inside a dry dark place. I also use all my fuel in a couple of months. I'm very Anal about my Equipment. Years ago I got a degree in Electronics but hated working indoors so went back to what I love. I wanted a 120ac welder. At the time 20+ years ago Microwave ovens had some pretty good transformers. Being Anal, I used parts, rewound transformers etc. And built what I wanted. Yes, I take it to the limit. I still use that little Cracker Box. That ain't the subject but it kinda shows how I think. Average just don't work for me. Ain't no good enough. It's good or no good. Ha. Ha. Not cranky. Just aware. Have a great day.

Philbert likes this.
  5. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

Did that with a old 1kilovolt transformer from electric co. No microwaves back then. still have it multi voltage taps and amperage taps as well as some adjustment in each tap area.

6. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

(I can barely get polarized plugs into the outlet the correct way).

Philbert

7. Wow

Cool. I have cooling fan etc. Looks like a small Lincoln. Three Transformers. I use it here on the farm most of the time because 220vac takes more time. Even my Generator powers this baby. Ive made money doing lite welding just grab the generator and welder go to their homes. Mostly hand rails, stuff like that.