Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the info, it was mentioned in another thread(don't remember if here or in a german thread) that Stihl is no longer producing the USG.

. . . how to keep the cutters cool with my pink wheel . . . Clean the chain . . . a dressing stone prior to commencing on each chain . . . grind saw chain cutters with short bursts of contact rather than a smooth application of force.

I will be hooking up an air coolant system if the CBN wheel heats up the cutter too much.

Millions of 'pink' (vitrified) wheels in use around the world. Dressing is really important as it exposes fresh, sharp abrasive to cut the steel, instead of rubbing dull, rounded edges, creating friction and heat. The other thing I would add to rd35's list is 'patience' - these are semi-precision grinders, not chop saws. Some people have also found that the resinoid wheels are a less expensive option to reduce the risk of 'burning' cutters. Even cheaper than standard wheels:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/resinoid-grinder-wheels.256733/

Philbert

Just for the info, it was mentioned in another thread(don't remember if here or in a german thread) that Stihl is no longer producing the USG.
(7sleeper likes to keep me busy . . .!)

I could not find them on the STIHL USA website, and their 'Contact Us' link did not work for me, but I tracked down at guy in Virginia Beach who said that the grinders are still available, just not listed on the website because they are targeted more toward dealers than consumers.

USG 5203 200 0009 (about (4650)
HOS 5203 200 0003 (about $550)

Philbert

After reading all this I might have to upgrade from 511ax to 620. Sounds like it would be faster then tightening and then loosening for each cutter.

Must have is the cbn wheels.

The angle on my name brand were spot on. No compensation. Just saying cheep is cheep.

Howdy Brad,
Great thread. If I had to pick a set up for application you're trying to fill, I would go with the Maxx and a ABN wheel. It's the only standard duty grinder that allows for directional grinding without revering the rotation. It's the same motor that goes on the Tecomec / Oregon product. If your wallet can stand it, the ABN wheels are better in a few ways. Firstly, there's no shaping (great for new users), they grind so much cooler that you would have to work at burning a tooth, there's no aggregate dust to breath or get in your chain.
We're going to be taking on the Dinasaw line. Our product is going to be coming on a container with our Lucas mills in about 8 weeks. I'm attaching a price list that we have for our introductory pricing on Dinasaw. The wheel you're looking for is the G1494ABN 149 x 4 x 22.2 ABN Wheel. The price you see listed is what we're selling for. I realize you probably have time constraints but, I could have them air shipped to you, and still beat the pants off anybody else's prices from what I've seen. I should have their product on our site within about a month. Here's something I did using another grinders chain stops on the Oregon type grinder. Saves a crap load of time. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO_NVYAhKi2-JxRLhHdU9Zw
mqdefault.jpg

Regards
Gregg

Attachments

• DSRetail.jpg
    DSRetail.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 70
After reading all this I might have to upgrade from 511ax to 620. Sounds like it would be faster then tightening and then loosening for each cutter.

Must have is the cbn wheels.

The angle on my name brand were spot on. No compensation. Just saying cheep is cheep.
Sam, the Maxx grinder has auto clamp vice, it's mechanical and clamps as you pull the grinder head down. Works great.

Hey Gregg,

That is about one of the best modifications I have seen in a long time!!!

Although I admit I didn't see that thread with your nice looking mod Philbert!

I've got a cbn wheel on my 511ax. It will warm the cutter enough to liquefy the bar oil but it doesn't burn the cutter.

Disclaimer: I don't let my chains get so dull that I need to remove a lot of material. I usually just need to kiss the cutter so I'm not spending a lot of time with the wheel contacting the cutter.

I saw a picture where someone had a welding magnet on the grinder to catch filings and I think it's a good idea.

Sent from a field

Even a quick couple of bursts on the pink wheel makes the sap sizzle on the top of the cutter. Its unavoidable unless you rig up coolant (air or water).

I aint talking about turning blue either ............

Yep, the sap residue (that the solvent leaves behind) will turn brown on me as well. But, as stated, even though the tooth is heating up a bit....it's not getting so hot as to change the heat-treat of the steel or to delaminate the chrome plating.

I have used Silvey grinders since the 80s. I have used different brands of cbn wheels on my 510 grinders and the last Dinasaw wheel I purchased was at 1/2 price, from Baileys, on a close out after Silvey stopped producing the Silvey 510. Dumb me, I should have purchased more of them.

I've got a cbn wheel on my 511ax. It will warm the cutter enough to liquefy the bar oil but it doesn't burn the cutter.

Disclaimer: I don't let my chains get so dull that I need to remove a lot of material. I usually just need to kiss the cutter so I'm not spending a lot of time with the wheel contacting the cutter.

I saw a picture where someone had a welding magnet on the grinder to catch filings and I think it's a good idea.

Sent from a field
Casey,
How long since you have deglazed your cbn wheel?
Is it at all SHINEY?

Back