Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Brad,
Great thread. If I had to pick a set up for application you're trying to fill, I would go with the Maxx and a ABN wheel. It's the only standard duty grinder that allows for directional grinding without revering the rotation. It's the same motor that goes on the Tecomec / Oregon product. If your wallet can stand it, the ABN wheels are better in a few ways. Firstly, there's no shaping (great for new users), they grind so much cooler that you would have to work at burning a tooth, there's no aggregate dust to breath or get in your chain.
We're going to be taking on the Dinasaw line. Our product is going to be coming on a container with our Lucas mills in about 8 weeks. I'm attaching a price list that we have for our introductory pricing on Dinasaw. The wheel you're looking for is the G1494ABN 149 x 4 x 22.2 ABN Wheel. The price you see listed is what we're selling for. I realize you probably have time constraints but, I could have them air shipped to you, and still beat the pants off anybody else's prices from what I've seen. I should have their product on our site within about a month. Here's something I did using another grinders chain stops on the Oregon type grinder. Saves a crap load of time. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO_NVYAhKi2-JxRLhHdU9Zw
mqdefault.jpg

Regards
Gregg
I appreciate that Gregg. NO ONE gives better service than you do! This guy is in a hurry to get it now that I've spent his money, lol.

You can burn cutters with CBN, but it is harder to do so. The cutouts on the Cyclones cool the cutters. And I never need to dress mine. I think the diamond wheels are for carbide cutters. If you use them on steel cutters, it would seem reasonable that you'd have to dress them.

I got my CBN cyclone type several years ago from US Diamond in Oswego, IL. They can make any size arbor, diameter, or thickness you want. IIRC, the profile you want is 1FF1 in their catalog.

I doubt I will ever wear it out.

You can burn cutters with CBN, but it is harder to do so. The cutouts on the Cyclones cool the cutters. And I never need to dress mine. I think the diamond wheels are for carbide cutters. If you use them on steel cutters, it would seem reasonable that you'd have to dress them.

I got my CBN cyclone type several years ago from US Diamond in Oswego, IL. They can make any size arbor, diameter, or thickness you want. IIRC, the profile you want is 1FF1 in their catalog.

I doubt I will ever wear it out.

Can't dress a diamond wheel.

How much are these abn wheels
$105 for a plain wheel from Diamond Wheel Inc. You'll pay more for a Cyclone wheel. Some say they cut cooler, others say they do not.

What is the difference between ABN and CBN? I know what the abbreviations stand for, I am wondering about performance and sharpening properties, etc. The price of the ABN is at least double of the CBN. Thanks in advance.

I nominate Brad and Philbert to buy an assortment of CBN wheels in various grits, some cyclone, some solid, and do a true evaluation of which ones are cooler and produce the best grind.....although for the life of me, I'm not sure how I could tell you to do that. It would only cost a few grand in wheels.

May be able to read cutter temps somehow with one of those fancy thermometers?

Yeah I guess the aluminum oxide stick is not actually a dressing stick, but cleans up the grinding surface? I don't have a true diamond wheel, so I do not know.....
A diamond wheel could cut a aluminum oxide stick in half. Not sure but don't think a diamond wheel needs any cleaning.

I've got to check on the ABN vs CBN.

And what I call dressing should be called deglazing I guess.

The wheels come with that white stick.......

And diamond wheels can be dressed. It's done when you first mount it on an arbor on a surface grinder. Makes it round and concentric to the spindle.
Not a thing that is done on chain grinders.

I nominate Brad and Philbert to buy an assortment of CBN wheels in various grits, some cyclone, some solid, and do a true evaluation of which ones are cooler and produce the best grind.....
I have only used the vitrified and resinoid wheels.

I would trust the the opinions of folks like Grande Dog and others who have looked into and used these wheels extensively.

I have only heard good things about the Dynasaw cyclone wheels, except for the price. Grande Dog may have solved that!

Philbert

A diamond wheel could cut a aluminum oxide stick in half. Not sure but don't think a diamond wheel needs any cleaning.
Sure it will cut it in half.
You push it across the surface to deglaze it. The glaze is the steel inbeded in the surface.
I do it all the time grinding carbide on a diamond wheel.
Hasnt changed in at least 35 years I've been doing it.

And when used on a surface grinder if it gets too loaded, you dress it. With a double wheel dresser.

Sure thing !!
My largest obstacle is the heat that the pink wheels put into a cutter.
I absolutely refuse to file any chain that was on a grinder, so maybe this CBN wheel can overcome heating up the cutter.

Even a quick couple of bursts on the pink wheel makes the sap sizzle on the top of the cutter. Its unavoidable unless you rig up coolant (air or water).

I aint talking about turning blue either ............

I will be hooking up an air coolant system if the CBN wheel heats up the cutter too much. I thought about the cyclone wheel too, but wondered how durable it would be long term with all of the cutouts

Appreciate all the comments guys, but as stated, I find that even if the cutter does not turn blue, it does get hot enough to wear out a file faster. This concerns me due to the fact that I take round ground chains and square file them. A square file is not cheap, and when I get a chain to square up, if it was ground it would eat up the file, even if the cutter wasnt blued. I tried re-grinding the tooth, ever so slightly with the lightest touch, but it would still destroy the square files much quicker than an unground chain does. This is why I will be installing an air cooling setup on my grinder. It wont take too long to make, and should be rather simple in its design and installation. Hopefully the CBN wheel with the air coolant will do the trick. I am on my last pink wheel and instead of purchasing more pink ones, I decided on the CBN to try.

I can easily grind any chain without burning the cutter, that is NOT the problem that I am trying to overcome.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

TRX, I havent found the grey wheels for the 511, they look like they do indeed run cooler than the pink ones

Latest posts

Back