Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Lol
Ever get over to Practical Machinist?
Yes, and to be honest I try to stay away... I don't think I could afford to be a member there for long lol. Still have my SB, just use it for odds and ends, occasional cylinder here and there pretty much.

Yes, and to be honest I try to stay away... I don't think I could afford to be a member there for long lol. Still have my SB, just use it for odds and ends, occasional cylinder here and there pretty much.
I understand.
I got a mill in the back of the Suburban. Lol
And I just won a Hone at work in an auction. $55
With a ton of mandrels.
But I know very little about saws.
I come here to learn.

Believe me guys, I have been war gaming this out for a few years now .......... air is the cleanest, easiest, simplest, and down right most slick way of getting the cutter cool on a chainsaw sharpener.
One thing with air. It doesn't transfer heat as well.
It is the point where the wheel is in contact with that heat is generated. Blowing air around it is not the same.

A moist wheel is cooling where the heat is generated.
That is why surface grinding works better with thru the wheel that flood from the side.
No thru the wheel with CBN or diamond.

But you still want to cool point of heat being generated.
so try to aim the air directly at the point of grinding.

Look into a vortex type cooler. You seem to have a good compressor. So that's not a problem.
When you said ice cold air I thought you had one.
Some as cheap as $100. A lot cheaper than they used to be.
And can work with 50 CFPM at 50 psi.
But with more pressure you can hit 0 deg F out one end. Heat out the other.
Then you are ice cold.

We use them on the 12' at work. Think a 12 face plate of a lathe set in the ground. Coolant on that is a mess. So is a 15" a resent if you leave one on and fire it up. We put a Vortex cooler pointed right at the cutting tool.

Since you just got your CBN wheel. One tip. It should look dull and uniform in color. If it starts to darken and get SHINEY deglaze it.
Keep it clean and it will last a LOT longer.
Loading a diamond or CBN wheel makes heat and unbuilds the coating.
Some say to get the stick wet. New to me. But I last read the instructions for them in the 70s. Dam sad. Lol
It wears away quickly. Just rub it across the surface till the wheel is all dull.
You're smart enough to find a demo on YouTube. I'd take longer.
If you don't have one PM an address. I'll fix you up.
We started off on the wrong foot.
Pax.
Trivia. You know the used Hemis to drive air raid sirens in LA?
Probably do. Being a Mopar guy.

One thing with air. It doesn't transfer heat as well.
It is the point where the wheel is in contact with that heat is generated. Blowing air around it is not the same.
But you still want to cool point of heat being generated.
so try to aim the air directly at the point of grinding.
I agree 100%, and I had these points in mind when I made up my setup to come up from under the wheel, pointed right at the surface being cut

A moist wheel is cooling where the heat is generated.
That is why surface grinding works better with thru the wheel that flood from the side.
No thru the wheel with CBN or diamond.
I cant argue that, my only contention was that I did not want to have a mess with my chain grinder

Look into a vortex type cooler. You seem to have a good compressor. So that's not a problem.
When you said ice cold air I thought you had one.
Some as cheap as $100. A lot cheaper than they used to be.
And can work with 50 CFPM at 50 psi.
Thank you for the good suggestion, although I havent seen the need to cool the air down, if I notice that my air is getting warm, I will definately look into a vortex type cooler

Loading a diamond or CBN wheel makes heat and unbuilds the coating.
Some say to get the stick wet. New to me.
If you don't have one PM an address. I'll fix you up.
Thanks for the kind offer. I received a white stick with my wheel, and the instructions havent seemed to change. They didnt say anything about getting the stick wet.

We started off on the wrong foot.
Pax.
:cheers::drinking:

Trivia. You know the used Hemis to drive air raid sirens in LA?
Probably do. Being a Mopar guy.
I didnt know that.
I would love to see pictures of your brush setup on the Silvey

A guy from the forum is going to come to my place and I said he could shoot my 475 till I understand how to post a picture.
I'm loading a lot but I think his hand will give out first. Lol
That will be the first picture I post.
I have yet to post a picture in my life.
It will be nice.

Ever see the WW2 tank power plant we sent the British?
5 Dodge inline 6s linked together........

Fellas, what about a water mister live we used on manual mills? Just asking here, don't grill me. I'm used to running all our stuff in flood coolant.
Read Moparmyway posts.
A circle Of water.
With up to 8" slinger......
Not the same as hitting an endmill.
You are talking the carb type right.
Adjust air and coolant.
Don't think you could turn the coolant down enough.
I mounted a cheap chip brush and just drip water on it.
Moist. Not wet.

Read Moparmyway posts.
A circle Of water.
With up to 8" slinger......
Not the same as hitting an endmill.
You are talking the carb type right.
Adjust air and coolant.
Don't think you could turn the coolant down enough.
I mounted a cheap chip brush and just drip water on it.
Moist. Not wet.
Understood!

Quick demo of my son using the air cooled 511A with the air pressure all the way open

Attachments

• CBN air cooled in action.MOV
    815.1 KB · Views: 35
i bought brian's 511 off him. worked pretty good but i have so many years practice into hand filing i can hand file free hand as good as it can grind. sold it when i got my silvey but man i miss it for rakers. really should have kept it but it was hard to say no to the cull who offered me $460 for it. LOL one thing about the oregon grinders is i here guys say they don't grind the same side to side. mine was out 3 degrees from zero on the gauge and ground side to side spot on once i compensated for it.
the " USG " has a beveled raker wheel available ,and does a super job
and with the optional foot pedal vice clamping ,its the best built,most versatile
machine outside the silvey,& symingtons

Back