Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please share your impressions of the CBN wheel, compared to your conventional wheels, once you have had a chance to run it for a while, either here, or in a separate thread.

Thanks!

Philbert
I sharpened a 36" .404 RM last night with my new CBN wheel from Diamond Wheel.
I like this wheel !
Much better than the pink one ........... cutter stays cool enough to grab with fingers when done, and I took a fresh loop of RM and ground down the gullets all the way to the tie straps. Best thing is that the file does not know it was ground down. I probably wont need any additional cooling to the cutters, but I still might make something anyway. I also noticed the dust is different. No more gritty stuff in the teeth either, just specks of shiney metal particles everywhere.

One thing I am not a big fan of though is that no matter which direction you cut from (outside in or inside out) there is chaff on the cutters edges. Its mostly chrome that looks burnt, but its not thick and comes off easy. It is an extra step if you want a perfect looking cutter.

First picture is stock, second picture is ground with CBN ............ and I didnt baby the arm either

Attachments

• .404 RM stock.jpg
    .404 RM stock.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 91
  • .404 RM CBN wheel.jpg
    .404 RM CBN wheel.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 87
One thing I am not a big fan of though is that no matter which direction you cut from (outside in or inside out) there is chaff on the cutters edges. Its mostly chrome that looks burnt, but its not thick and comes off easy. It is an extra step if you want a perfect looking cutter.
As soon as it touches wood, that's gone.

As soon as it touches wood, that's gone.
Yup - it sure is ............ but sometimes I have seen the chaff peel away some chrome if left there to cut with.
Did it make any difference ........ probably not, but there was peeled chrome that could have lifted from the heat.

I left the chaff on two lefts and two rights ............... when it hits the wood, I will be paying close attention to what happens

Hooked up a simple cooling assembly with a valve to regulate airflow.
The answer was blowin' in the wind?
Screen shot 2015-10-24 at 10.32.59 AM.png

In the name of Science, care to try it now with a regular wheel?
Need dust goggles?
Bend the copper tube each time for R & L, or stays in place?
Maybe try a flexible hose attached to the grinder head that would blow away from the operator?

Thanks!

Philbert

The answer was blowin' in the wind?
More like blowing some wind ............. not really a fan (pun intended) ^^^^^^

In the name of Science, care to try it now with a regular wheel?
Sure ......... I am curious if it will be cool enough with the regular wheel myself
Need dust goggles?
Face shield for safety consience dudes
Bend the copper tube each time for R & L, or stays in place?
Stays in place pretty well without moving at all on each chain, must be adjusted for the different lengths of the teeth when you switch to a different chain
Maybe try a flexible hose attached to the grinder head that would blow away from the operator?
I suppose that could work .......... but you would need to attach the tubing to the grinder head firmly, then have a section of flex hose for the arm to pivot. To me, that took the K.I.S.S. out of it, so I decided to use the wall mount hole as part of the mount; welcome back K.I.S.S.

Another way to cool a CBN wheel ONLY!!!
A brush on the wheel with water dripping in the brush.
Put too much water on an open wheel and turn it on and bad things can happen. OUT-OF-BALANCE
And I don't know if they are made to run wet.

Yeah it's dirty grinding wet.
And Ya may get wet.
But no heat. And no dust.
And you are not chasing the chain.

Or get a vortex cooler and get real cold air.
But the. You are back to moving stuff.

Another way to cool a CBN wheel ONLY!!!
A brush on the wheel with water dripping in the brush.
Put too much water on an open wheel and turn it on and bad things can happen. OUT-OF-BALANCE
And I don't know if they are made to run wet.

Yeah it's dirty grinding wet.
And Ya may get wet.
But no heat. And no dust.
And you are not chasing the chain.

Or get a vortex cooler and get real cold air.
But the. You are back to moving stuff.
I thought about water, but then I decided that I liked my built in light too much.

Also, what do you mean "chasing the chain" ?

I thought about water, but then I decided that I liked my built in light too much.

Also, what do you mean "chasing the chain" ?
That's why the drip on the brush.
Just a little and it depends where you put the brush.
Centrifugal (centrifugal?) force will throw most of it back.

Chasing the chain......keeping the air on the cutter and keeping it close enough to do some good while moving the chain.

The vortex would solve that but pricey and air hungry.

Best thing to keep a wheel and cutter cool is gonna be wax and taking your time with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's why the drip on the brush.
Just a little and it depends where you put the brush.
Centrifugal (centrifugal?) force will throw most of it back.

Chasing the chain......keeping the air on the cutter and keeping it close enough to do some good while moving the chain.

The vortex would solve that but pricey and air hungry.
I sharpened a 36" .404 with the air on............. both sides of the chain ................ and I didnt have to move the tube a single time. The air coming off the cutter is ice cold to the touch, there is a huge pressure drop after the valve with 130# coming in and about 20# exiting the tube

Even a drip from a brush will saturate the area ............ think about how long the sharpener is energized with the wheel rotating, the whole time you would be spitting water out in a 360 degree area straight out from the wheel. How are you going to feed the water ? What will the water do if the arm is in the up position ? Give it a try if you think it will work good, and a little advice for you too ........ none of the electrical connections are water tight - plus the incandescent bulb will not like any water once it is hot

Believe me guys, I have been war gaming this out for a few years now .......... air is the cleanest, easiest, simplest, and down right most slick way of getting the cutter cool on a chainsaw sharpener.

Believe me guys, I have been war gaming this out for a few years now .......... air is the cleanest, easiest, simplest, and down right most slick way of getting the cutter cool on a chainsaw sharpener.
So that's the end. There is nothing better. You know it all.
I'm sorry for suggesting anything.
A couple of years.......30 years ago I was making 3/16" dovetail cutters from a blank OD carbide. On a Cincinnati Milicron manual.
Little guarding and had to keep it cool. Diamond but like CBN.
Water dripping on a brush. Total control. Incandescent light.
It works.
I got a round and a square silvey, a 511 and an Efco.
Thanks for telling me I don't know crap.
I was offering advice.
And you used some of it.
But my way is a lot quieter.
No dust.
But you are right so forget it.
Don't preach to me.
Pax
Rant over.

Tell them to keep doing just like they have. Harbor Freight, perfect knock yourself out guys. Bunch of tree killers.

So that's the end. There is nothing better. You know it all.
I'm sorry for suggesting anything.
A couple of years.......30 years ago I was making 3/16" dovetail cutters from a blank OD carbide. On a Cincinnati Milicron manual.
Little guarding and had to keep it cool. Diamond but like CBN.
Water dripping on a brush. Total control. Incandescent light.
It works.
I got a round and a square silvey, a 511 and an Efco.
Thanks for telling me I don't know crap.
I was offering advice.
And you used some of it.
But my way is a lot quieter.
No dust.
But you are right so forget it.
Don't preach to me.
Pax
Rant over.
#1. At least I actually did something to overcome something I didnt like
#2. Its NOT a rocketship and I aint getting me or my electric grinder wet
#3. It friggin works, and was easy to do
#4. Nobody said you dont know crap
#5. Since you dont like what I did - why dont you hook up your wet brush idea to your 511 grinder that spins @ 3400 rpm, use it several times a week and let us know how you like it ?

#1. At least I actually did something to overcome something I didnt like
#2. Its NOT a rocketship and I aint getting me or my electric grinder wet
#3. It friggin works, and was easy to do
#4. Nobody said you dont know crap
#5. Since you dont like what I did - why dont you hook up your wet brush idea to your 511 grinder that spins @ 3400 rpm, use it several times a week and let us know how you like it ?
Boy. I'm sorry. I really got put in my place.
Your posts about how my way won't work did a lot of good.
I showed it to our grinder. 30+ Years on grinders. Mainly Studers.
It brightened his day.
Laughed his azz off.
Said
"Jeez Rob. He almost went Richie Cunningham and called you Bucko!!!! Thanks for the laugh Rob"

I run a brush on on the 510 with 8" wheels. No Problem.
That's why I suggested it.........

Man it's not even winter yet... You guys are already getting sassy! Hahaha
I know. Lol
I suggest something that has worked for me for 35 years. Shown to me by someone who had been doing it for maybe 30 years before that.
Thought it might help some body.
And somebody that HASN'T tried it is telling me it won't work.
And I should try it a couple of times a week.
Try 58 hrs a week on grinders for a few years.lol

And I don't like air blowing if I dont have to.
I like to hear the grinding.

This is why I don't post out here much.
Too many self described savants.

Latest posts

Back