Chain saw lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with motor oil isn't it being dirty, it's the lack of tackifiers. They're probably adding some sort of tackifier agent to the oil to make it stick better. Motor oil slings 95% of the oil off at the tip because it doesn't stick like it should which is why it isn't recommended for use on bar/chain.

Some processors/harvesters use hydraulic oil for bar lube.

I'm on my 3rd bar on my processor, got about 1000hrs on each of the 2. The rails eventually wear to the point that the chain drivers bottom out.

I Use bar oil and motor oil, the problems that come with using motor oil come from running dirty used oil. Old Homelites, mac's, stihls, ect called for SAE 30 weight motor oil for the mix and bar oil.

I use 30w and add a couple ounces of Lucas oil treatment . Works through the pump very well and sticks to the chain and bar better than store bought . Doesen't sling much but stays in the groove enough so that I am still using the same 20" bar on my 272 that came with it new in '97 .

Yall are way overthinking it, its just OIL. Ive used everything from brand name bar oil, motor oil, USED motor oil, hydraulic oil, even gear oil. ANY of it will work! Gear oil does stink though, so you might want to not use it.

Yep, it slides around the bar a few times and gets rubbed off by the wood ships. It's more of a single use oil then it's gone.

When I was a heavy user of bar oil I often thought of pricing a 55 gallon drum of bar oil, engine oil, hydraulic oil and 90wt gear oil. I’m thinking the bar oil drum has to be cheaper. I think 55 gallons of bar oil is $385 comes out to $7 a gallon. I tried used motor oil only to see chunks of metal missing from the inside of the rails. Using atf or mixing kerosene in the cold weather works, the 30wt bar oil is for the summer heat. Is anyone stocking up on bar oil and two stroke mix?

https://maverickmowersupply.com/770708-bar-and-chain-oil-all-season-formula-55-gallon-drum

Back