Help! Stihl 290 new chain smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonytheracecar-D

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just bought my first chain saw. A used stihl 290. I dont really know much about saws but i am familiar with engines so im picking up pretty quick as i read through forum after forum.
Basically, my saw wouldn't cut through wood, its got an 18 inch bar, and the wood or chain just starts to smoke leaving a black charred color in a pathetic attempt at a cut. Maybe goes in half an inch before it smokes.
I went to an ace that sells stihl chains and had them put it on. No change in the cutting. Any advise on what i should do next? Bar looks kinda worn but not to sure if it needs replacement, it still had a bit of tooth left. im going to take off the bar and cover to see if it's oiling. I believe that is how you check. The saw turns on great, revs high and spins the chain really fast. Might this be a clutch issue? Oil feed? Bar? Or can this just be needing an adjustment on the high and low? All i see on forums is dull chain or file down the rakers, but its got a brand new chain. Please guys, any help is much appreciated. Please excuse my lack of verbage and knowledge. Im a young guy just trying to learn about saws. Thanks

Verify your oiler is working. Pull the clutch cover off. Remove the bar and chain then start the saw. Make sure oil is pumping from the outlet as it runs. Not sure if the 290 oils all the time or only if the clutch is engaged. If the oiler works, next you will need to verify the correct bar is mounted to the saw. In other words, if the oil holes are not in the correct spot, oil will not make it to the bar and chain. This will cause excessive heat and wear which you are most certainly observing.
EDIT...Even if the oiler is not working, a new chain should still cut. A chain installed backwards won't cut squat.

Even a chain put on backwards will still cut, albeit really really poorly. My first chainsaw was a Lowes 38cc Poulon, and I explored this very scenario. Lesson learned, cuts but not well at all.

Oh this is good, just sit back and read the comments. If you need to be told then maybe you would be much safer to get someone to cut wood for you. Not being funny or anything but in the wrong hands a saw can kill you in a very short time. Even a blunt chain will cut through a leg like a hot knife in butter. Get yourself on a chainsaw course and learn from an expert, you will enjoy it and live longer.

Looks like Ace Hardware did not realize that the chain was dull when it was mounted by them. Or, they did not realize that the saw's oiler assembly was not working. The list of other possibilities can go on from there.

Learning about chain saws is not easy. Nobody here ever said that it was, but it is obvious that we would like to help.

If it starts to burn the wood after cutting only 1/2", it has nothing to do with the oiler. clutch, or bar. The chain is either garbage from the start or on backwards. Since it's the second chain doing this, I vote for on backwards. Please let us know and don't feel bad. Most have done this accidentally at some point.

Latest posts

Back