Cleaning up after October Snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Sorry if this was already discussed to boredom, I've been without electric and DSL for a week and missed them.Last Saturday (October 29, 2011) we had a very heavy, wet 8" of snow here in Southeast PA, that fell and did considerable tree damage to our trees that were for the most part still carrying most of their leaves. I had been away (USMC boot camp graduation @ Parris Island for my god son/nephew) and got home in the middle of the worst of the snow. My driveway was impassable, so I parked and walked up to get my chainsaw to saw my way in. It was a mess, but it was unsafe to leave my truck in the driveway, so with a little help from my son we got my truck in. But trees and tree tops were falling faster than we could keep up. We had long lost electric, but in the process of getting my son out, I watched a tree take out my own primary 4kV line. This is what the driveway looked like when I turned around the second time after getting my son out:
P1040831.JPG

I went back to the house and snapped a few pictures of the lawn area where more than a dozen trees and dozens of significant branches and tree tops were down already.
P1040823.JPG

P1040822.JPG

Fortunately, I had only one glancing blow against the house that took out a section of spout. A larger limb came down on my son's car; breaking his roof rack, denting the roof, scraping the top of the door, and sliding down the front fender. Here is a shot of my shed bracketed, but not touched, by an oak and a bunch of maple tops:
P1040825.JPG

We were without electric for 4 days before my electric provider even showed up at 1:00 a.m.. After about a quart of coffee, and enough spotlights to steer a plane in, they reported that the two damaged poles and the two severed power lines were "owner responsibility", and that they were going to pull the fusable link on my line, and I should call them back to replace it when I had an electrical contractor complete the repairs.
P1040829.JPG

Fortunately, when the weather cleared, it cleared as a grand reprieve. So, it was only getting down to about 32° at night, and rising into the 50's during the day. Great weather for chainsaw work and stacking the fire wood and dragging the rest to brush piles. And I was too tired to notice if it felt a little cool at night. I worked 7 full dawn to dusk days. Even more fortunately, I had some help; on Wednesday I had 4 saws running more than 6 hours:
P1040853.JPG

For you guys; A Stihl pro climbing saw in the bucket clearing power and phone lines, Husqvarna 445 wielded by a neighbor there in the foreground, me on a Dolmar 510 in the background, and an ancient Echo CS 302 hammering the down stuff into man sized drag fodder by the most experienced limber in three counties (my Dad). A virtual chorus of two cycle sound. Dad turns his hearing aids off to re-experience the pleasure of natural sound when running his ported Echo.

Daughter claimed the seat time, I served as rigger for the choker lines, and she (and the x728) pulled half a dozen large limbs and tree tops off other trees: Quick Video
P1040887.JPG

All, in all, The Dolmar 510 and the John Deere x728 were huge help. I'm not sure how long I'd have been at this clean-up without them.

Looks like you guys had your work cut out for ya! Hope there was some enjoyment to be had of some kind in the process.

What a mess. Crazy storm. Glad to hear you in good spirits and taking the bull by the horns.
Most of what I heard from the media and my friends that got sent down to help out was about a bunch of pissed-off whining yuppies that can't lift a finger to help themselves.

Your place looks like my did last week- I'm up in Connecticut. We had lots of storm cleanup to do the past few days and were without power or internet for nearly 8 days. Its nice to be back...:)

What a mess. Crazy storm. Glad to hear you in good spirits and taking the bull by the horns.
Most of what I heard from the media and my friends that got sent down to help out was about a bunch of pissed-off whining yuppies that can't lift a finger to help themselves.

I think I might have been a little pissed-off a 1:00 am on the 4th cold night when the power company reported that they would do nothing but disconnect my line and told me I had to get a private contractor to fix my own poles and lines. I'm pretty sure I didn't whine, but I heard plenty from area so I don't doubt it one bit.

I think I might have been a little pissed-off a 1:00 am on the 4th cold night when the power company reported that they would do nothing but disconnect my line and told me I had to get a private contractor to fix my own poles and lines.
That's harsh. I never heard of a situation like that. So...you own the poles and line ?

That's harsh. I never heard of a situation like that. So...you own the poles and line ?

First off, I am not complaining. I am lucky enough to live on a nice property set back from the nearest road about 1500'. My power company claims responsibility for the first two utility poles, and informs me that I am responsible for the last seven as well as the wires. The day after I was first informed, I was visited 4 more times by roving electric company guys who all helpfully reinforced that they intended to do nothing till I had my poles and wires repaired. I was mostly upset that it took them 4 days to get around to informing me. Otherwise, I've been here 25 years, and never had this subject come up before. PECO employees showed me the distinctive brand and tags on their poles vs mine. Kind of feel special, I own seven utility poles and hardly know anyone else that even owns one.

I was mostly upset that it took them 4 days to get around to informing me.
You are justified in being upset about that. I just talked to a buddy that works for the power co. up here and he does assessment. They send guys to other States in emergencies, and vice-versa. He told me that they (MA, CT, PA) were requesting assessors 4 days after the storm. Those guys are supposed to be 1st on the scene. He also said that when they get down there the local workers hassle them and seem to almost try to prevent them from working. He thought the statistics of restored customers per day down there was pathetic. Take that for what it's worth. I give the workers the benefit of the doubt when I loose power because I assume they're busting their azz and sleeping for 4 hrs. a night in a crappy hotel room and haven't seen their family for days and my place on a dead-end road isn't at the top of their list of priorities.

might be time to start thinking about burying your service to get it out of harms way ,1500 feet gotta have alot of potential line grabbers waiting to isolate you from the grid

Latest posts

Back