Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23 is how old I was when I got my first truck/chipper, and went on my own. Lol.. maybe sg gets lucky, and this ones a late bloomer. :laugh:

I was 24 when I went out on my own. Emptied my savings account, bought what equipment I could afford and took a leap of faith... I think I made $1200 my first day. I was walking on cloud 9 after that and have never looked back. :)

I was 24 when I went out on my own. Emptied my savings account, bought what equipment I could afford and took a leap of faith... I think I made $1200 my first day. I was walking on cloud 9 after that and have never looked back. :)

I hear that md! :cheers:

I think cloud 10 is coming in a couple years, when all that crap sitting out in the yard is payed off finally! I'm either gonna really start raking in the dough, or buy some flip flops and go part time. lol.

Wish I was 23 again. I was climbing 1977 and I had over six years in the saddle and was much better looking. Now I am depressed.:(
Jeff :)

Lol. I hear jeff, don't feel bad.

I wish I had a 23 year old me to do the work now.. man did I used to bust some work out at that age - for having just a truck and chipper that is. Dont get me wrong, I still do a lot, and love to climb.. but I aint never gonna have the drive like those days again.

Lol. I hear jeff, don't feel bad.

I wish I had a 23 year old me to do the work now.. man did I used to bust some work out at that age - for having just a truck and chipper that is. Dont get me wrong, I still do a lot, and love to climb.. but I aint never gonna have the drive like those days again.

I guess it is a young mans world.
Jeff:givebeer:

23 is how old I was when I got my first truck/chipper, and went on my own. Lol.. maybe sg gets lucky, and this ones a late bloomer. :laugh:

Yea isn't it amazing thats theres no age limit to purchase a machine that you can potentially feed someone through .... I was running a maintenance crew at 18 and a foreman of 25 at 20 , smoking grass all day and racing to the shore every night drinking til 3:30/4am and racing back before 7 am for work ...

Yea isn't it amazing thats theres no age limit to purchase a machine that you can potentially feed someone through .... I was running a maintenance crew at 18 and a foreman of 25 at 20 , smoking grass all day and racing to the shore every night drinking til 3:30/4am and racing back before 7 am for work ...

You are a very bad boy and should be very ashamed! :laugh:
J :)

You are a very bad boy and should be very ashamed! :laugh:
J :)

For what honesty , we were hard workers back than really focused stoned , and to be stuck on a rider for 12/13 hours everyday you need weed to cope , plus we made money for the boss who was our childhood friend and now a millionaire at least 3xs over so I am not ashamed of being a dumb teenager, as a matter of fact i miss those days from time to time , I never missed work I always knew my limits ...

For what honesty , we were hard workers back than really focused stoned , and to be stuck on a rider for 12/13 hours everyday you need weed to cope , plus we made money for the boss who was our childhood friend and now a millionaire at least 3xs over so I am not ashamed of being a dumb teenager, as a matter of fact i miss those days from time to time , I never missed work I always knew my limits ...

You do know that I am just joshin' you, right?
Jeff :)

WELL, so far, so good! He is taking the bull by the horns, older crew is taken aback by his experience, they are having a good time out there, pulled up yesterday to grind a stump from one he took, while they worked on another. He was on the ground, dictating and setting the pace. AWESOME. The young lad, groundie (18) fell out yesterday though, greasy Micky D's not recommended right before you go to work, hump logs!
It is nice, waking up wit da pain, and going "ohyeah" I dont have to go up today!
Dont get me wrong, would love to be up swinging out, or in da bucket, but it is real nice, after you become decrepit, to have a youngin up there!

YUP but I am a pothead so I am just a little SLOWWWWW on the uptake ...

Had an obvious pot head working for me and my top hand and I broke him in lol. I always would be quiet and have the eye twitch thingy goin on, top hand would tell him I hope you don't end up like the last groundie boss man threw him through the chipper fer going too slow!That pot head was runnin with brush lol:hmm3grin2orange:

You didn't happen to party in Wildwood around 1978?
I did the same thing. On Wednesday i would drive to wildwood after work partied till 3 am. Drive home and was at work by 7am. Went right back down Thursday same thing. Those were the times,can't even drink a 6 pack after work now without feeling like crap the next day,

I can do a six pack but that is about it these days. Very rare for me to drink more than 2 or three at one time anymore... Liquor, never. It hurts too bad these days. On the very rare celebratory occasion I find I still need to remind myself why I gave up hard liquor. Those episodes are few and far between. Isn't getting old grand??? :D

Haven't smoked pot for years either. I like having a clear head.

Under "Special Skills" I once wrote: "Doesn't play well with others"

So I have put out a couple adds out for a climber, here and locally.
Had no Idea what I was gonna get!
Here are just of few of the crazy things I heard.

1. "What kind of saddle? I don't ride horses"

2. "what kind of saddle? you mean the thing that those guys wear at Home Depot up in those lift things"

3. "I been doin da tree work for 14 years, so...........ah, whats up, when do I start, I have court on Monday so it cant be then."

4. "I climbed up in grain bins,cant be much different"

5." I don't use rope or a saddle, I free climb, all that stuff just gets in the way"

I didn't know what to expect when I listed those adds. But I didn't expect that. A little scary, as I know that there are other company's around that hire anyone who isn't afraid of heights! I climbed for a lot of years, still go up on small stuff, and up in the bucket, and I still am a little nervous when I'm up there. Cannot believe these guys are willing to do something so dangerous, without knowing what they are getting into. Most of them are desperate to feed the kids and will do anything to make money. I felt real bad for a couple guys, they seem genuine enough, wish I had a lot of money to hire them for whatever around the shop. Of course I had a few topper/hacks meth heads apply, but yet to find "that guy"[/QUOTE]

get urself a nice stihl saw, some good gear, and fire ur boss, get a darm trailer, and start little, and become all u can be, dont be afraid, no chipper, no problem, grow balls, work hard, anybody can doit, good luck

I worked with a guy who only had a Echo trim saw. One month later he had a T200. Then he stopped doing only "cut and leave's" and bought a trailer to mulch everything into. Three months later he bought a 1986 ford f350 with a dump box to mulch into. He did that for a six months and was able to buy a ford f350 with a full dump box with a Asplundh whisper chipper. Two Month later he bought two more T200's and a 440. About two months after that he bought a small stump grinder. He saved for awhile, and about six months later he bought a vermeer dutchman stump grinder.

Back