Climbing with spurs/spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it's just something I wanted to learn to play around with on certain trees , but if already learning ascenders and alternatives to spikes then your on the right path . I do removals for myself , my way I don't have a boss , and old heads that are set in there ways aren't gonna embrace change especially when they've Been doing it like that for decades it's that way or no way , they can't even comprehend the idea of change LOL so keep your mind open bro really don't ever get the tunnel vision thing it kinda locks you into an era and that's that

For instance we have a type of pine that grows a lot like a palm real tall slender with only the top 30 % or so that has any branches they are so slender that you have to be careful spiking the trunk because you may spike yourself , half of them you need to cut and throw them because when you rope off of them they feel as if they will fold in half so I've just gotten into the habit of hand sawing and throwing , and I am not even gonna go there with this group could you imagine stripping a tree without firing up a chainsaw ???? Mind boggling

What do you do, just set up chokers and step in them? No, I don't use descenders, just footlock. I only just started this year and its a side job. So I have pretty basic equipment. But I'm sinking as much of the money I make from it back into the equipment, so I might use ascenders in the future. But there are a lot of other pieces of equipment I need to give priority to first. Yeah, I'm definitely open to new techniques, but I still have to master the old ones haha. I would say I'm self-taught, but in this day of YouTube videos, no one is self taught. I'm YouTube-taught

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about , there is thread where a guy broke his spike , there was another guy that. Couldn't fathom how he got down with a broken spike , and then some other guy says " well that's why I always carry a bail out rope " so you mean he just has one on his belt for show or an emergency . Not for overhead positioning points . Crazy right ??? I worked with a old guy that has never in 30 years tied into a rope .... He uses a saddle and lanyard that's it he carries a lowering line for branches .

8evagepa.jpg
this is mind boggling right ???? LOL it's 2 8.00 straps

Shut up rummy ... I know your not thick headed ... I've seen you tree , honestly you got me started on doing some newer things and I've progressed since . I mean we don't even borrow the recycling can to wrap a tree anymore ... That's gotta mean something to ya

Shut up rummy ... I know your not thick headed ... I've seen you tree , honestly you got me started on doing some newer things and I've progressed since . I mean we don't even borrow the recycling can to wrap a tree anymore ... That's gotta mean something to ya

If you're implying that I helped you out of the closet, I want no part of that deal. You're on your own with that one.. thats all you.

If you're implying that I helped you out of the closet, I want no part of that deal. You're on your own with that one.. thats all you.
Listen I can still love you long after you don't love me it's ok ...... I hold on to what we once had ... If that's wrong I don't wanna be right

Latest posts

Back