Climbing with spurs/spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could you guys pls explain your thought process in regards to what advantages this gives or advances made in this tech...outside of relief from "foot pain". Teaching to climb doesn't count either relative to a production crew is what is generally admired on here. Noobs to 101.

My thought process is this ... I won't speak for justin because I don't think is fair , If I can SRT up take apart the canopy and flop the trunk why wouldn't , if I had to prune the same tree it would be equally as difficult to move through it often more . If I'm in the tree "removing" large pieces how is it any slower with/without spikes . I did 4 decent 60/70 ft pitch pine , basically all I had was maybe 30ft of canopy then I knocked over the sticks I smoked them like that half of the brush I cut and threw with a handsaw . I can efficiently do at least half of my removals without them , and your wrong to say that a new climber shouldn't learn first to climb without them , just like I think they should first learn to work with a hand saw instead of a chainsaw . Sorry that is what I think but who the hell am I ?

I just think every cut you make aloft is enhanced by the opportunity to put your foot or feet someplace other than what the tree affords you without spikes. Be it supporting your body or moving the leg to be out of range of the finished cut or out of the way of the piece being dropped etc etc etc. You are just throwing away an option that is supplied to you like tossing out your lanyard, only way worse. Most of all it give the easy and quick opportunity to alter your position and location for the notch, back cut, push, hold and toss etc. Seems like a silly argument without an iota of merit. You almost have to try to win this by sheer personality or aggressiveness.

Alright .... Dave you and I are doing a huge pine , I'm the climber your running the crane , but it's just us so I make the cut and you hold on to it until I jet down to the ground , and after setting the choker I never unplugged from the crane , what difference does it make if I'm wearing my spikes I am hung overhead off the crane , that's all I'm. Saying and that is a kinda real world application for a 2 man crane crew

duteme4a.jpg

Back