Contacting A Lot Of Companies For A Quote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under_the_hill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a prospective customer that told me in the course of conversation how many companies he was requesting quotes from. It's quite a number. (Job should be under $1000)

Compared to the automotive repair industry where a person has to invest time by bringing his car to each shop, in this industry a person can just send out emails or use a service like Home Advisor or Thumbtack to bring out a lot of services for little time invested.

It's interesting being on the other side and realizing how much time things like a quote takes. Multiply that out by how many companies this person is requesting from and it adds up.

This is the first time it's happened, so not a problem, but I wanted to share.

If it happens too often, start charging. To get away with this, you have to have a reputation for superior work. It will get rid of the bottom dollar shoppers.

Use your mechanic comparison...can you bring your car to a shop say "how much will it cost to fix this noise" and leave without habhav them do the repairs and you paying them nothing? Most will charge to put it on the rack to tell you what needs fixed and charge a diagnostic fee...

Back