Conveyor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found myself in need of a conveyor. Nothing big or fancy, perhaps twelve foot or so that I can set at the end of my SuperSplit. I have seen ones here made from hay elevators, but for the life of me can't find a used one at a decent price or otherwise. Anybody build one from scratch and care to share a photo or two..? I've got the tools to get the job done, just looking for a little insight as to what worked well for you. Thanks.

an old grain elevator works well, the type for ear corn.. they go cheap at farm sales.

I was gonna do the same, my plan was to take a chain hay elevator and make a V channel on both sides of the chain, then weld some extensions on the clips to catch the wood better. Basically the same a the production ones I've seen, I kinda put it on the back burner for now thinking it'll be just another piece to move and won't really save me much right at the moment that is.

Here's the ones I've seen work

c12c%20conveyor.jpg

c16c%20CONVENOR.JPG

Blazin, You are the man..:rock: Exactly what I need for a little reverse engineering. I was thinking of welding a two beam systems similiar to a hay elevator. That looks like a single 2" square tube, some pillow blocks, and a chain. I think the chain could be the most expensive part, as I have most of the rest already in some other form. I'll have to hot foot it down to the tractor store this morning and see what kind of chain I can get by with....:clap:

I was gonna do the same, my plan was to take a chain hay elevator and make a V channel on both sides of the chain, then weld some extensions on the clips to catch the wood better. Basically the same a the production ones I've seen, I kinda put it on the back burner for now thinking it'll be just another piece to move and won't really save me much right at the moment that is.

Here's the ones I've seen work

c12c%20conveyor.jpg

c16c%20CONVENOR.JPG

that's ones nice looking at that one for months 2600.00

If you can split fast or ever run a processor that will not take enough wood up at a time. But it may work for you. I would definately weld something bigger on those tines ( a larger triangle) or something similar so it can catch more pieces. Good luck.

If you can split fast or ever run a processor that will not take enough wood up at a time. But it may work for you. I would definately weld something bigger on those tines ( a larger triangle) or something similar so it can catch more pieces. Good luck.

What do you consider fast...? Hahn's fast or SuperSplit fast..? Neither is slow, but the Hahn's may be a wee bit quicker... ;)

was at an auction yesterday where a 35 ft elevator went for 300 bucks. It was PTO drive, but that's easy to change to electric or gas.
The one we use, we had to take every other flight off the chain because they were too close together to catch the wood.
Ted

was at an auction yesterday where a 35 ft elevator went for 300 bucks. It was PTO drive, but that's easy to change to electric or gas.
The one we use, we had to take every other flight off the chain because they were too close together to catch the wood.
Ted

Always somebody gotta pipe in with the voice of reason...:laugh: I have a couple of auctions around here to check out yet. The Hudson sure is shiny though...;)

What do you consider fast...? Hahn's fast or SuperSplit fast..? Neither is slow, but the Hahn's may be a wee bit quicker... ;)

I dont know but I do know that a number of years ago I saw a guy with one of those conveyors and it seemed to me that he kind of had to set the pieces in it by hand to make them go I remember thinking that it would be slow it seemed that if he didnt kind of guide them in straight and another got thrown on top it would bridge at the bottom and the chain would be spinning and no wood going up. Again this has been years ago and it may work good for you. I personally dont like the design.

Ours bridged like you are saying too. We made the catch/funnel part steeper so the wood was less likely to bridge. now it works good. We also had to remove every other flight because they were too close together to efficiently catch the wood. That was probly 15 yrs ago. Since then we have made no changes to it as it works like a champ now.

I'm gonna take a look at something like manure spreader chain.

I believe it's called #55 chain, same as alot of poop spreaders and better hay elevators. It was pretty big $$$ here last time I was plotting.

Look at the conveyor on this ,

[video=youtube;hhmKBDIAXd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hhmKBDIAXd0[/video]

Or this one ,

[video=youtube;KA0x8VwSgIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA0x8VwSgIQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=94s[/video]

Different ways to make a pile ( Ain't Utube great for endless ideas !) .

Guns, gimme a couple days to check around the fencelines around here. Should be able to come up with something for ya to start from. I have a 40' here that I need to convert over, if nothing else you can have the extra sections I'm taking out.

Think my buddy has a couple back of his place though.

Steve, that'd be great, let me now if you see anything worthy.

Tom, Thanks for the input, I went to their site and have a disc on order. Looks like there are a couple of dealers in northern MN as well. Might have to give them a ring and kick the tires a little.

Latest posts

Back