decking a 350 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about messing around w/ a husky 350 cylinder... and was thinking about decking it. Then I was looking at the base adapter and wondering why not take an appropriate amount off the top of the base adapter? that would be WAY easier to cut (on a milling machine) rather than trying to dog up a cylinder on a lathe. Why cut the base of the cylinder when its easier just to trim the base adapter 10-30 thousanths.

I think I can figure out how to open the intake and exhaust, but are there any recommendations on how to grind the base adapter so its makes the transfers more open? It seems like there is plenty of room on the base adapter to grind material away ....gasket only contacts certain areas making it tempting to grind away unnecessary metal :)

-Matt

well, I'd have to MAKE a mandrel...which I can do ....and then put the live center to it....I've seen the youtube videos. but if I have the base adapter out of the saw, why not cut off of that to reduce squish? I could easily put it in the vice on the mill ...make sure its flat... and mill off an appropriate amount w/ an endmill. ....no? just curious why I haven't seen this technique? just cause everyone doing it has a mandrel? or mostly because most saws don't have base adapters like the 350....

I keep wondering what other saws that base will fit.
Would be an awfully handy way to make a real sleeper out of a clamshell.
Seems like they run about $35~45 when I last looked online.
one vendor shows one for $35.50 - 503885901 Bearing Cup
Edit: another vendor has it listed for $25.95 at the moment.

Hmmm, a 346 jug on the carcass of my pp5020?

Will be watching to see how this turns out. Mill and a Lathe,cool! I made a mandrel for my 2152 Jonsered and used it on my 350.

Cutting the base in a mill, is probably quicker than making a mandrel and cutting the cylinder on the lathe.

I'm fixin to make a mandrel to fit 346 cylinders. :)

I cut the deck surface on my 350 .020, left out gasket and used 518 loctite. Put in new flat top piston and cleaned up ports, I could not find the transfer port gaskets and had to make my own. It made a sweet little saw.

I use one end of the mandrel for the piston fixture to turn the piston pop up, if you don't want to cut the squish.

Back