ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Difference Between Gas And Electric Chainsaw Chains?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by lil171, Jan 11, 2019.

1. lil171

lil171 ArboristSite Operative

Ok. So this may be a silly question that I could not find much on, so decided to ask here. The main question is exactly that. Is there a difference between a chainsaw chain used on a gas, electric, or battery powered chainsaw. For this example, I would say that I do know that the link count, gauge, and chain size would have to be the same. I am just asking as I was online and HomeDepot Canada has bar and chain combos listed for an electric saw. Thank you.

2. wcorey

wcorey ArboristSite Guru

Most electric/battery saws I've laid hands on (other than big 220v commercial ones) use 3/8" lp chain, the same as many smaller gas saws.
    Bar mount pattern and drive link counts would vary by manufacturer and usage just like gas saws do.
    The specifics of the chain size have more to do with matching the power output of the saw than what powers it.

3. lil171

lil171 ArboristSite Operative

Ok, thank you. I was just mainly wondering if the electric saw chains were built differently and possibly break/come apart during usage if used on a gas powered saw. I also just saw some used ones locally cheap that I missed out on as I was unsure. I did not ask then as they were already gone.

4. Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack Tree Freak

some may be not built differently, but may be designed differently. as for cutting teeth. for example, older elec vs newer and batts. in general, you have to know the specs of the chain and the requirements of the gas saw. if they match, no problem. should service well, all things considered. I don't use batt chain saws, but I do have an older Craftsman electric. it came with a chain that made it run very bumpity! PITA to use. so it dint get used much. sat stashed away in shop. recently, I decided to look back into it, could it be a good performer? motor great, power great, bar great... chain, not so great! so I ended up with a Stihl chain saw chain. think it is a 3/8ths pico. 54 links.

just yesterday, I finally got around to testing it out. performed perfectly. it runs and cuts as good as my lil Echo CS-271... which is a real hornet :chainsaw: of a saw. couldn't be happier, and now since I scrounge around in my neighborhood and often see small diam oak on side of road... it will be a 'go to' saw for quick cuts, etc. I think it can handle with reasonable efficiency up to 12" trunks or limbs. I use a lot of firewood for a southern urban resident. best advice is to just stop by a good arborist shop. they can further advise you.

electric, 110-v
    P7040016.JPG

P7040017.JPG

James Miller likes this.