Dirty Hand Tools splitter tank problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then dont put wheels under it.....

But I would take to weldin shop to fix.
Welding the stub axels directly to the bottom of the unreinforced tank is a BAD IDEA.Typical design of many low end splitters today.Towing one of these units over 200 miles of rough roads isn't a great idea either.Even with wheels.The engine mount design isn't that good either.
Just cause they are a sponsor here, don't mean their product is the best, they do no wrong and or customer abuse.

Not picking n them in particular - see some of the same things in others that come crusing though the shop every so often. Heck even my own rig- now a highly modified HF unit had problems. DHT, from what I have seen and a couple other companies, do take good care of customers - there are others, of course, that could care less once the green stamps change hands.

I agree. And I assume I am the rare one who does tow it maybe 200 miles on gravel roads over the winter to cut and split, but that is what I purchased it for. Maybe no one else has had this problem, but this is my second tank leaking from the same spot.
The tire pressure can likely be reduced to get a smoother ride. My heavy splitter has 12PSI in the 13 inch car tires.

ThOde Kohler engines vibrate like crazy. I’ve had a couple and they shake themselves to death. I would mount some rubber bushings under the engine to help once you fix it.

Scott

ThOde Kohler engines vibrate like crazy. I’ve had a couple and they shake themselves to death. I would mount some rubber bushings under the engine to help once you fix it.

Scott

I'm thinking the bouncing down the road would stress the mounts more than the engine vibes when running.

Scott

I guess that I got Lucky, our DHT 27 Ton is through it's third season and our 196cc Kohler is a smooth running and easy starting engine, I have Zero complaints with either the DHT Splitter, or the Kohler engine powering it.

I would buy another DHT, or Kohler powered product without hesitation.

Doug :cheers:

The ones I’ve had have run good and started super easy. They just vibrate their muffler and gas tanks off. The tanks tear at their mounting points. I put a lot of hours on the small engine. Splits a couple hundred cords every year.

Scott

Running something like that 200 miles on gravel roads is your problem. Just because it has wheels doesn't mean you can beat it like that. Tiny wheels and no suspension you should know not to do that especially after the first tank replacement.

We Take our splitter to t woods with us, but it usually piggy backs in the 6x12, it has 6'side racks, I can usually get about a cord and a half plus the splitter in it

It's nice to have it split and ready to stack when we get home, plus it keeps a lot of the Mess in the forest, not the driveway, plus the neighbors don't have to listen to it. We have REALLY GOOD Neighbors, and I'd like to keep it that way, of course some extra, Fresh Dungeness Crab or Salmon from our trips to the Coast Helps too

My Wife Enjoys running the splitter, we have a Pretty Good system, I set up the splitter near the trailer, buck up a pile of rounds for her, she splits, I buck, roll her rounds, load splits, Buck, roll her rounds, load splits, repeat, repeat, repeat..........

I have found that it is a good idea when transporting the splitter, to close the fuel valve, and run the carb dry.

Doug :cheers:

I very rarely tow a splitter down the Rd, to me that's not really what they are designed for. I've seen leaks at that point(tank-motor mount) on other splitters and that's why I won't. To me these splitters are made at a low price point and you get what you pay for, long distance towing is not something I personally think you are paying for with these units.
I'd weld a nice torsion axle under it and run some larger tires if that's what I was doing with it.
Glad they took care of you, that's going above and beyond to me.

Back