Distance between sprocket and saw has large gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actualneggdpgrowth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The play is about 3/16". The sprocket is one piece with the outer hub of the clutch. It's a new saw, used only a couple of hours. Saw never got overheated. I can see the clutch is on tight, but anyone know why the play is so much? I used the saw fairly well for two hours only - the chain came off numerous times but the last few times after trying to cut wood and coming off so quickly (like 1 second) I decided to look at the saw more intently and that's when I discovered the big play - obviously when the sprocket moves outward, the chain bar will not be aligned causing the chain to come off the sprocket. Being the clutch appears to be on tight (without putting a rope through the spark plug hole) and turning counter clockwise, there's no looseness.

Anyone have ideas? Maybe a bushing wasn't put on at the manufacturing plant? I used so many saws over 30 years time and never encountered this. I don't see how I could have damaged anything from such little use unless perhaps there's some bad engineering involved.

Attachments

• sprocketpulledoutsm.jpg
    sprocketpulledoutsm.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
Which saw is it? Model and size? Is the chain slipping down between the sprocket and the side of the saw?

Which saw is it? Model and size? Is the chain slipping down between the sprocket and the side of the saw?
Model I would think would be irrelevant for general understanding of the issue. It's no popular brand. Yes to your last question.

Probably missing a bushing. Better photos would help. Can you take the clutch cover off and get some good focus shots?

If I knew what kind of saw it was I could take one apart that is similar and be able to tell you what part is missing. Some saws have different parts depending on what size it is. Looks like a spacer or bushing is missing that keeps the sprocket in line as mentioned. There shouldn't be a gap for the chain to fall in to.

Back