DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two hands operation

I just noticed in the one video, it is now a two hand operation with a safety lever...definitely don't want one now.

Some people must have cut their hands off with the first model.

I agree with you.

This text has been writen thanks to my voice dictator. ;)

Probably you can crak easily, that was a reason for calling them . I wanted to know how it works.

But towable is a big plus. Dont you think so?

I agree with you.

This text has been writen thanks to my voice dictator. ;)

Probably you can crak easily, that was a reason for calling them . I wanted to know how it works.

But towable is a big plus. Dont you think so?

I wouldn't take any additional option for the use of two hands. That will really cut production down.

Wear Brass plate in DR

Does anybody knows if the wear brass plate has been removed?

Since Dr. modified the head of the ram that now is iron cast I do not see the wear brass plate.

Was it necesary?

Does anybody knows if the wear brass plate has been removed?

Since Dr. modified the head of the ram that now is iron cast I do not see the wear brass plate.

Was it necesary?

DR emailed me the manual. It is no longer mentioned in the rack alignment section/maintenance. But it is in the trouble shooting section, so I am assuming it is still there. However, is now referred to as "bushing" and not wear plate. It may be non-replaceable.

Someone needs to bite the bullet and buy one.

I wonder if the safety lever is removable to make operation one handed again?

Has anyone asked DR how long they will be supporting the old DR splitters? If I owned one I would be very concerned that parts won't be available in say 10 years from now. These splitters should last much longer than that what will owners do then?

Well, it looks like they may have addressed some of the design issues I ran into. I'll be waiting a good six months before deciding if I'm going to get another DR Rapidfire though. I also will want to see and use one at a dealer first.

They refunded the money as promised so DR did right by me on the return. I've always been impressed with their customer service and support.

I hope that Paul at SS implements some type of tow feature into his design. Will make my decision on which one to purchase much easier. DR has been very responsive to customer feedback...look at all the changes they have made in a short time-frame based on their customer's experiences.

Well, it looks like they may have addressed some of the design issues I ran into. I'll be waiting a good six months before deciding if I'm going to get another DR Rapidfire though. I also will want to see and use one at a dealer first.

They refunded the money as promised so DR did right by me on the return. I've always been impressed with their customer service and support.

I hope that Paul at SS implements some type of tow feature into his design. Will make my decision on which one to purchase much easier. DR has been very responsive to customer feedback...look at all the changes they have made in a short time-frame based on their customer's experiences.

I don't think anyone gave feedback that would require two hand operation, like the new DR model requires. Sounds like they a responding to lawyers and insurance companies.

The one built in Ohio is very tow able and very well built!!!!
Not sure what you are talking about...maybe the Amish guy? If so, there is even less information on his machine than there is on Paul's SS. Hard to purchase something this expensive on 'faith'.
I don't think anyone gave feedback that would require two hand operation, like the new DR model requires. Sounds like they a responding to lawyers and insurance companies.
Good possibility. But, it could have been added as a way to stop that forceful kickback some of us experienced.

it's just a safety measure to avoid possible liability for injuries
## This mechanism can not prevent the kickback

it's just a safety measure to avoid possible liability for injuries
## This mechanism can not prevent the kickback

I agree with you about the kickback and the mechanism.
But they changed the position where the bearing pushes the rack, in the new model when you operates the lever, the bearing pushes after the pinion shaft. In the old model the bearing did this before the pinion in relation to the forward movement of the ram.
Could this end with the kickback?

We will see.

The 2 handed safety feature may now allow the machine gain CE certification for the European market. Just a thought.

For what its worth it looks like a fairly easy system to defeat - raise the secondary handle then tape a rigid object underneath, or tie it up. For anyone intent on returning it to single handed operation this should be simple enough...

Do a search on AS for "towable SS" (or something of the likes) and you will find quite a few simple towing mods. I did mine in thirty minutes and with a cost of $30 in material.

When I told Paul @ SS that I only needed to tow a short distance and at low speed, he basically told me that wrecking it ain't covered under warranty.

Fyi... I went through the SpeedPro bullcrap, but I got ALL of my money back after a year of use. It pains me to read of the woes going on with the RapidFire (well, except for those of you that made fun of the speedpro guys LOL).

But I will say this, my J-model SS has no known issues...

The "2 hand operation" is a liability release gimic...

If it's anything like the "safety button" on the side of the speedpro, you should be able to disable it in five minutes.

Disabling the "safety button" will release DR of any and all liability claims to the machine.
Disabling the "safety button" will probably void your warranty...
Last time I checked though, getting your fingers or hands cut off were not warrantee issues.
If you have warranty issues, don't tell them you disabled the safety button and save all parts to reassemble if needed.

To me it's fairly easy... complacency is your enemy. PAY ATTENTION to what you are doing.
Safety first...
And my favorite... Don't Drink and Split!!!

It's a whole new world of splitting once you've gone Kinetic !!!
You all can attest to that at least.

Last edited:
Former DR owner, current SS owner

At some point I was part of this thread and talked about my good experience with the DR. Indeed it was a good experience for about 50 or so cords of wood until we got into some dry white oak (I'm in Nevada and the oak was from California so I don't know if it's the same white oak as you'd find in the eastern part of the country). After replacing the handle mechanism three times I requested a refund from DR (which they not only honored but paid for the return shipping as well since I had some other issues along the way). That was last year and in browsing this thread I'm gathering that they've made some changes in that set-up. But the double-knuckle or double-jointed set-up couldn't handle hitting a really hard piece of wood; the damage wasn't from knotted or twisted wood. What would happen is the rack would bow up from the impact and then twist all the crap on the handle (how's that for a technical explanation?)

Been splitting several cords of the same type of the wood recently with the SS and no such issues. Also seems the rack is wider and I did get the upgraded version so I have the larger flywheels as well. As for the handle on the SS, once we quit reaching for where we were used to the handle being after running the DR, I think I like the simplicity of the SS handle better (and there's no kickback issues).

To sum, I wish I would've sprung for the few extra bucks for the SS last year and saved myself a lot of downtime waiting for parts from DR and installing them. But I do have to give kudos to DR for honoring my return request and paying for the return shipping.

Do a search on AS for "towable SS" (or something of the likes) and you will find quite a few simple towing mods. I did mine in thirty minutes and with a cost of $30 in material.

When I told Paul @ SS that I only needed to tow a short distance and at low speed, he basically told me that wrecking it ain't covered under warranty.

Well, I have a problem with spending three grand on a machine of this caliber and having to modify it in order to use it effectively. It should be able to be towed. DR did it and Paul could do it too...if he wanted. He always has an excuse for not making his product slightly better. I've heard several other reasons personally and from others. I find that frustrating but it is his company. It seems he just has no interest in innovation.

DR tends to listen to customers and make available what they ask for...just look at how fast they came out with the towing kit when the very first version was released. That is impressive. I'll re-evaluate everything before my next purchase. Hopefully, DR's will be comparable quality/ability to Paul's by then and his will have additional options available. Who knows, maybe there will be an updated SS website by then too! :laugh:

@doubleh: Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear the SS really can split the tough stuff. Once again it appears that Paul has DR licked on the quality/ability of the machine and DR has Paul licked on the Ease of purchase and important upgrades.

Well, I have a problem with spending three grand on a machine of this caliber and having to modify it in order to use it effectively. It should be able to be towed. DR did it and Paul could do it too...if he wanted. He always has an excuse for not making his product slightly better. I've heard several other reasons personally and from others. I find that frustrating but it is his company. It seems he just has no interest in innovation.

DR tends to listen to customers and make available what they ask for...just look at how fast they came out with the towing kit when the very first version was released. That is impressive. I'll re-evaluate everything before my next purchase. Hopefully, DR's will be comparable quality/ability to Paul's by then and his will have additional options available. Who knows, maybe there will be an updated SS website by then too! :laugh:

@doubleh: Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear the SS really can split the tough stuff. Once again it appears that Paul has DR licked on the quality/ability of the machine and DR has Paul licked on the Ease of purchase and important upgrades.

I think they made the DR towable so it would be easier for owners to return.

Well, I have a problem with spending three grand on a machine of this caliber and having to modify it in order to use it effectively.

Yes, I had that same issue... It took me a long time to decide which way to go. DR or SS.

Buy a POS that I can tow... Been there done that with the speedpro (which the dr has slight resemblence to now)
Or buy the best known kinetic splitter on the market (for the last 30+ yrs.) and make it towable with a small modification.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread for helping to make the decision for me.

New DR Rapid Fire model

Any body buy one yet???????:msp_confused::msp_confused::msp_confused:

If current plan holds I will return Speedpro and order th current model DR rapid fire!
Can't wait to get my hands on it. Will comment on any problems.

Back