Echo Cs 400 Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would have like too but just wasn’t in the mood for pictures today.blocked up 5 big sugar maples before i done this.my back is pretty well screwed right now.just done the sugar maples to tune a few saws and get a feel for a couple of saws i have been working on and help hold onto sanity.
If i were to have been able to post pictures they would look pretty much like redfir's about the only thing i done different than red was use a regular 7/8" drill bit in my dewalt in a vise.;)

If I do these mods to my saw, will it in any way adversely effect the saw, like cause it to over Rev and blow up or anything like that? Would removing the limiter caps and re-tuning without middling the muffler accomplish anything? What I am trying to achieve is getting this saw to run correctly without having to worry about premature failure due to it running too lean. I wouldn't mind a bit of performance boost but that's really not necessary as I will only be using it to cut approximately 30 ricks of personal fire wood per year and also the occasional clean up. Thanks...
You don't have to do the muffler mod but it runs so much better when you do. I first adjusted the carb because mine was so lean from the factory. Later did the mm. It's worth the effort. Cuts way faster.

im still breaking mine in it runs pretty good as is.... trying to break it in before i tear it apart guess if its adjusted right does not matter .....its adjusted a lil rich right now 3 or 4 tanks so far

You don't have to do the muffler mod but it runs so much better when you do. I first adjusted the carb because mine was so lean from the factory. Later did the mm. It's worth the effort. Cuts way faster.

Is there any adverse effects to doing the muffler mod? I'm definitely going to pull the limiter caps and re-tune. I'm still kind of on the fence with the muffler mod. Do you have to re-tune after modding the muffler if you have already richened the mixture up from factory settings?

I believe you do. If I've read here correctly, the engine will run lean after a muffler mod since it breathes better.

I also saw a post further up asking about over revving these saws. I suppose it's possible under the right (or wrong) circumstance, but the ignition has a built in rev limiter that tops out at around 12,500 RPM.

Is there any adverse effects to doing the muffler mod? I'm definitely going to pull the limiter caps and re-tune. I'm still kind of on the fence with the muffler mod. Do you have to re-tune after modding the muffler if you have already richened the mixture up from factory settings?
As long as the saw is tuned correctly after you muffler mod it that NO, there are no ill affects to opening up the muffler.
The saw will run cooler which promotes longevity and it will also have noticeably more power... it will probably hold 500+ more RPM in the cut.

I really dont know how to answer your second question here... to many variables to say yes or no.
I suggest you send some time on youtube on how to tune a chainsaw. There has been alot of site members post videos on this subject.

so here are my orange echos.... when did they go to plastic handles?i had them both out and just noticed it... also i noticed my one i just bought cs 400 plastic handle has a different chain if you look in the pics of the 2 bars you may be able to see.... is this the P-pro series chain from echo?

Attachments

• CAM02316.jpg
    CAM02316.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 60
This video will help you get your saw tuned. Keep in mind your Echo has a limited coil so it will sound like it's 4 stroking when it hits the limiter. Richen the H to where it doesn't drop much RPMs off full throttle when the limiter kicks in...there is a slight delay after it spools up, you can hear the difference. It's best to tune in wood, richen it up to where it burbles heavy in the cut and lean it out slowly to where it cleans up but still burbles when you let up on it. But definitely get those tabs off and richen it up some.

the limiters are all off and the 2 new ones are pig rich till i do my next job and get some 10 to 12 inch wood.....

yea i don't like the limited coils at all i like the poulan saws like he showed... i just sold many of my old saws... time to go all new.....equipment...

I found a VERY cool guy locally who helped me out with a muffler mod last night with my CS-400. I figured I would throw up a few pics of it. He gutted the cat, opened the exit hole a bit and widened the deflector. Then he pulled the limiter caps with a (magic tool) and retuned it.
We tested it right after on a nice piece of mesquite. I can truely say this is an altered beast! In hind sight, I believe I could have done the muffler mod myself but where I was chickening out was pulling the limiter caps off and retuning. I wish I had a "magic tool"! I finished by painting it with VHT Flame Proof Flat Gray Primer.

Big thanks to you man

Attachments

• IMG_20150220_185433.jpg
    IMG_20150220_185433.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20150220_185423.jpg
    IMG_20150220_185423.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 184
Ive only cut a little bit with it before the mod, but enough to give a comparison. I will put it like this, before it was a very good cutting saw. Now it is a black mamba that screams baaa and rips through wood with a vengeance. It was quite shocking to me just how much more power was gained from this. Hopefully, it will make the motor last longer as well.
Good folks here.

Are the two holes drilled into the deflector plate needed? Also is there a pro or con to completely eliminating the front of it like see above by creami vs OP?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Back