Echo guys - CS-600P or CS-680 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superbuick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm purchasing a new saw soon and I've narrowed my choices down to the Echo CS-600P or the CS-680.

Whichever one I buy will be running a 20 inch bar and used mostly for firewood. I've considered other brands (Stihl MS362, Efco, and run them as well) and I've chosen Echo because I've had good luck with their stuff, have a really good dealer who is really close (walking distance), and the saw is comfortable for me.

Based on some reviews I've read, the feedback on the CS-600P seems to be very positive and it seems it is a newer echo design. The CS-680, obviously, is a larger engine, but is it of the older echo design (which doesnt seem highly regarded because they weren't revvy enough/fast enough/etc.)

I'm not doing any chainsaw racing and I plan on having this unit for many many years.

Should I go with the CS-680 because it is a bigger motor saw, or the CS-600 because it is newer and has great reviews? Cost difference is small enough to where it isn't a huge issue.

Thanks for the advice.

You can get the CS600p off Ebay for just over $400, best buy on saw out there right now. Don't know why but there aren't many CS530 or CS680 on Ebay. Have heard nothing but good about the CS600. Steve

I can't comment on the 680, but I bought the 600 two months ago. I looked at a Husky 359, and a Stihl 362. What cinched it for me was the experience I've had with my Echo 3400. Thing was bullet proof and still is, and I expect the 600 will be too. I also have a 20 inch bar and chain on mine. Fire away with any questions...

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm purchasing a new saw soon and I've narrowed my choices down to the Echo CS-600P or the CS-680.

Whichever one I buy will be running a 20 inch bar and used mostly for firewood. I've considered other brands (Stihl MS362, Efco, and run them as well) and I've chosen Echo because I've had good luck with their stuff, have a really good dealer who is really close (walking distance), and the saw is comfortable for me.

Based on some reviews I've read, the feedback on the CS-600P seems to be very positive and it seems it is a newer echo design. The CS-680, obviously, is a larger engine, but is it of the older echo design (which doesnt seem highly regarded because they weren't revvy enough/fast enough/etc.)

I'm not doing any chainsaw racing and I plan on having this unit for many many years.

Should I go with the CS-680 because it is a bigger motor saw, or the CS-600 because it is newer and has great reviews? Cost difference is small enough to where it isn't a huge issue.

Thanks for the advice.

If it were me I would get the 600. My echo rep did tell me that sometime next year echo will be coming out with a 650 to replace the 680, but he didn't have any specs yet.

I don't think you could go wrong with either saw. I have a couple of old Echo's and those things just keep running. I think they a make a very durable product. I have an old 6700 that has been laid on its side so many times to have gas and oil put in it that the plastic chain break handle has a flat spot worn in it. It still has great compression and runs like a new saw. My old John Deere Echo 602V is much older but hasn't had quite as much use but it also still runs like a new saw. I think they are not engineered to be the class leading high performance tools but rather to last a long long time. The ones I own seem to have accomplished that goal.

attachment.php

dang that ole saw looks rough but since it is an echo it will run for years

This is really helpful feedback, thanks. Ive never owned an echo saw before so all this information is very useful.

When directly comparing the 680 and 600, what characteristics make the 600 the more appealing choice apart from the speed. At first glance, the air cleaner assembly on the 680 seems a little nicer, but the overall fit and finish on the 600 seems more modern. Not having run either in wood, i cant speak to the grunt of either motor.

Go with the 600 you wont be disappointed, and kudos to you for buying from the dealer if you don't support them they might not be there to support you, its very hard to be a small business these days.

The 680 wieghs more, I'd guess about 3# when full of fuel and oil. I think to many people think high chain speed cuts faster no matter what. I own a CS6700 and CS8000 both which are not real high Rpm saws but with the right chain they will cut just as fast per cc as my 044 Stihl and 385 Husky. They turn slower but have the torque to pull bigger chips . Steve

The 680 wieghs more, I'd guess about 3# when full of fuel and oil. I think to many people think high chain speed cuts faster no matter what. I own a CS6700 and CS8000 both which are not real high Rpm saws but with the right chain they will cut just as fast per cc as my 044 Stihl and 385 Husky. They turn slower but have the torque to pull bigger chips . Steve

I would agree. If you cut mostly hard woods get the 680. If you cut softer varieties of wood get the 600.

I have both and would hate to pick one or the other, but the 600 is a real runner. The 680 has more torque though. Can't go wrong with either, IMO. Yeah Steve, I did buy the 600 on ebay. $386.22!

Latest posts

Back