Electric Chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar3

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Are there any good electric saws. I'm looking to pick up a cheap used saw to use in the driveway at home. Any suggestions? I was think maybe an older USA made Mac or Sears type saw

I picked up a like-new Remington saw with an 16" Oregon bar / chain at a yard sale last year. It makes 3.0 hp and has a 12 amp motor.

I've used it a few times and it performs great. Check your local Craig's List ads. I always see lots of elec. saws for sale at very low prices.

For an older saw try a Stihl e30 if you have three phase power. The best new one is a Stihl mse220. The Makita is good as well. An old all metal Milwaukee will have a ton of torque. The rest feel cheap.by comparison to me.

It's alot like gas chainsaws. You can find a cheap chainsaw. You can buy a good chainsaw.

I really like my Makita UC4000. It has been replaced by the UC4030. It is what Home Depot rents - I figured if it stands up to that, it has to be OK. They sell their rental equipment every few years, and I have bought a couple for under $100 each. New, the Makita goes for around $240, but the identical Dolmar goes for less.

Husqvarna and STIHL also make good electric chainsaws.

Older Sears were made by Poulan - I like them better than the new ones. You can often find one, or an older Mac for $30, but these and the Remingtons are light duty saws, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Philbert

Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying for quality. If I look around I'm sure to find a good tool with little use for cheap. A brand new Makita is actually reasonable. I hate firing up a gas saw at the house for 1 cut it never warms up. Good way to carbon it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the Husqvarna 316 anybody have one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Husky looks just like the Makita to me but is more money. Basically, the more amps the more power. I had an old Sears Craftsman 11 amp and it was almost useless. I'd want at least 13 amp. I did a youtube video comparison of some electric saws a year or so again.

Backyard neighbour handed me his Stihl electric saw with a 20" bar when I was part way up in his tree to do some lopping for him. I was very surprised (and yes, I am a Stihl man) with the power it had. I'd have preferred to have smaller saw . I've been tempted to get a Makita electric for small stuff at home but I'd like to try one first. I should think the Stihl is pretty expensive; I never thought to ask Murray.

If your only going to use it occasionally, you won't wear out a cheaper one either. I picked up one of the older McCulloch EM250's (2.5hp 10 amp) with 14" bar like new for $6 at yard sale. I've used it once in 2 yr., it runs good but I doubt I'll ever wear it out. If I do, I'll look for another cheapo.

If your only going to use it occasionally, you won't wear out a cheaper one either.
I have a Remington 'chainsaw-on-a-stick' that can be used by itself (10" bar, 7 Amps). Pretty light duty. Plastic gears. Won't stand up to heavy use or abuse.
But if you keep your chain sharp, and use a light touch, you should get reasonable life out of it.

Philbert

I use an remington 16" for everything in the yard. Power is what youd expect from an electric saw.

Only thing I dont like is that the bar oil tank should be about 3x bigger

Are there any good electric saws. I'm looking to pick up a cheap used saw to use in the driveway at home. Any suggestions? I was think maybe an older USA made Mac or Sears type saw
I found the Greenworks 16" 40v Chainsaw to be an excellent saw to cut anything under a foot in diameter priced around $300. Keep it sharpened and this saw will do some surprising cutting for you. Nothing like no pulling to start, no smelly gas and nice light weight. This old guy has retired my old Husky and the Sthil Farm Boss and sticking to lighter weight firewooding.

I found the Greenworks 16" 40v Chainsaw to be an excellent saw to cut anything under a foot in diameter priced around $300. Keep it sharpened and this saw will do some surprising cutting for you. Nothing like no pulling to start, no smelly gas and nice light weight. This old guy has retired my old Husky and the Sthil Farm Boss and sticking to lighter weight firewooding.
Hi Doc Scott,

Welcome to A.S.!

This thread was more focused on corded electric chainsaws. You might want to repost your comments in one of the threads on cordless / battery operated chainsaws, such as this one:
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/

Philbert

I have used the greenworks corded saw and was actually surprised by the torque. Not gonna set any records, but i cut close to a hundred railroad ties building a retaining wall, and beat the piss out of the poor thing and it took it. I would say i was impressed.

I use a Worx corded electric saw.--Not a sthil of course but for it's price and handy to make a few cuts at a time I find it worth the price.--I was never a fan of electric chainsaws, til' I tried this one.---not bad! thanks; sonny580

Back