Felling poll - Have your say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you fell these palms?

• Total voters
plus if you are gonna limb a tree while you are walking on top of it....a small saw won't reach.

Yup long bars are good if your careful I will say if I was going to wag the 395 up and down them hills I would end up getting a harness. I get sore in the back after a day or two the way it is! I suppose you can grow used to it if done daily though!

You can cut an 18" tree with a 42" bar but not the other way around - well you can of course but nowhere near as quickly or easily :) Once your saw fitness gets high enough a 36" bar on something like a 390XP is a doddle. After 8-9 hours of solid cutting I am no worse for where on my 7900's whether I'm running a 24" bar or a 32" bar.

You can cut an 18" tree with a 42" bar but not the other way around - well you can of course but nowhere near as quickly or easily :) Once your saw fitness gets high enough a 36" bar on something like a 390XP is a doddle. After 8-9 hours of solid cutting I am no worse for where on my 7900's whether I'm running a 24" bar or a 32" bar.

I use my 372's in the tree only once used the 395 though you gotta need it to pull that sucka up lol:cheers:

I hear ya. Fitness is everything. Also after running my 880 or 090 for a while my 660 feels like an ms200.

When I was running my warmed up 372 with a 28", it felt like I was cutting with the air. A 660/32" is more noticable in the hands..

I hear ya. Fitness is everything. Also after running my 880 or 090 for a while my 660 feels like an ms200.

I ran my 3120 for about a week felling firebreaks in Tasmania last April when my 7900 went down with a blown base gasket (I didn't have another mid sized saw at the time and my 5100-S was too small for the trees I was dropping). They had a heap of rain that week and the tracks up the hill (mountain) were completely inaccessible by 4WD. I had to lug that stupid thing with a 32-42" bar up that hill everyday with the associated fuel, oil, and spare chains. The second I returned home on the mainland I bought another couple of mid sized saws (another modded 7900 and modded 390XP and have had a deep hatred, but a wierd kind of love, for that 3120 since :) )I never want to be in the position where I have to use an overkill saw like that again for that length of time. It will only now be used on my mill and for the odd monster tree.
Even though my saw fitness has improved 10 fold in the last 12 months that week still haunts me. The 3120 doesn't feel any lighter now. Absolute boat anchors those things but I still have a lot of respect for that saw. I've had it buried in Aussie hardwood with a 60" bar and it just laughs at it with skip semi chisel.

Try that 3120 with a 50" bar, twenty feet up in the air, standing on spurs! I have, and it was pretty tough setting the cut correctly. You will never see anyone borecut that size bar when on spurs, either! :dizzy:

I know what the big saws are like, and I still wouldn't want to go into the deep woods with only a big saw.

MCW: since when is a 390xp a mid-sized saw? I'll bet you wanted a big saw that wasn't quite so big.

I pull a 50" bar with mine, and it is using full comp chain, too. It crawls through those occasional 4' logs like candy. I kind of like using it to dice up the average midwest US tree, but only if I have managed to mount up a 24" bar. Then it is so fast in a cut, the weight of the saw becomes unimportant.

MCW: since when is a 390xp a mid-sized saw? I'll bet you wanted a big saw that wasn't quite so big.

I class a 390 as a mid sized saw cause I own a 3120 :D (maybe I should say "upper mid").
Although I know people who would call my 7900 with a 24" bar a big saw because they don't know what a 3120/880 is.

I positively despise the 88's they suck and they make this whistling noise that gives me a earache , If I never had to touch one again that would be fine with me seriously they suck, I have three 66's and one 660 which I can do 99.9 % of my big wood cutting and I love those saws all of them they work really good with a 20" bar in the tree ...

I positively despise the 88's they suck and they make this whistling noise that gives me a earache , If I never had to touch one again that would be fine with me seriously they suck, I have three 66's and one 660 which I can do 99.9 % of my big wood cutting and I love those saws all of them they work really good with a 20" bar in the tree ...

There have been numerous warranty issues with 880's in Australia. A lot of filtration problems on our dead hardwood (like Redgum) and internal failures. One of the biggest Stihl dealers in Tasmania refuses to sell them.

There have been numerous warranty issues with 880's in Australia. A lot of filtration problems on our dead hardwood (like Redgum) and internal failures. One of the biggest Stihl dealers in Tasmania refuses to sell them.

It's a man's saw....not meant for everyone.:chainsaw:

Can you post some pics of TASMANIA I would love to see where the devil comes from , thats awesome ... And as for the 88's well ........

Well if hating the 88's makes me less than a man well that's fine show me to the ladies room , its funny how some people with little :censored: surround themselves with big machines as if that will make things better ,ha hahaha...

It's a man's saw....not meant for everyone.:chainsaw:

:D I like them mate but I know 3 guys with them and all 3 have had filtration issues and one blew up, all under warranty. There have been a lot more complaints than just these 3 guys though.
I'll stick with my 3120 which is somewhat manlier ;)

Can you post some pics of TASMANIA I would love to see where the devil comes from , thats awesome ... And as for the 88's well ........

If you look very closely ;)

TassieDevil.jpg

TrowunnaWildlifeSanctuary2.jpg

Well if hating the 88's makes me less than a man well that's fine show me to the ladies room , its funny how some people with little :censored: surround themselves with big machines as if that will make things better ,ha hahaha...

Yomomma found my equipment quite sufficient.

Back