Felling poll - Have your say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you fell these palms?

• Total voters
That rope was merely a safety back up and was tight tied to a distant tree not in the picture!
If you look hard on the ground you will see my winch cable that is hooked to my bucket behind the camera man! The rope was cinched after a good pull was put on the notched tree so if something went haywire there would still be a back-up. It was not needed but it did make me feel better I have yet to have a disastrous event and wish to remain that way.

Sounds like a good insurance policy! I saw the winch cable, that's what made me wonder about the extra rope.:cheers:

I always use my felling sight on my Stihls. Feller a few years ago dropped a hundred foot plus oak on a beautiful Victorian from the 1700's and embedded it right in the middle of the house and knocked the whole house crooked. Totaled.

Yeah I use my sight,sometimes my loggers tape,usually my winch,sometimes winch rope and winch wedge but never winch rope and wedges lol:cheers:

Damnit Rope. I had some nice palms on view and you just had to go add some hard-as-all-fark hollow she-ite tree that made mine look like grass ready for mowing!

Actually I am frequently impressed by the breadth of skill and knowledge on display here. Thanks for all the input on this thread. A 90% response tells me all I need to know. 9/10 Pros here believe safety is more important than speed.

:cheers:

Damnit Rope. I had some nice palms on view and you just had to go add some hard-as-all-fark hollow she-ite tree that made mine look like grass ready for mowing!

Actually I am frequently impressed by the breadth of skill and knowledge on display here. Thanks for all the input on this thread. A 90% response tells me all I need to know. 9/10 Pros here believe safety is more important than speed.

:cheers:

Post them anyway, I mean I have easier ones too but they are all done safe and you can't spend hap-hazard, as it cost more than the profit!

Here is what we get to fall!

badone_001.jpg

badone_004.jpg

You done good with that P.I.T.A. excuse of a tree.:cheers:

Don't blame you one bit for the extra back up on it.

Lmao if falling in areas that have no collateral damage it is easy to not second guess things but in between two houses, you can bet I am taking my time, notch will be clean, rope set notch placed and checked by stepping in front. Call it what you wish but it is through many years experience that, some of us, have learned the importance of careful urban felling.

PS: The thing that taught me this, was supposed loggers that have no problem felling trees on houses.

In situations like the photo you can bet my left nut I'd have taken my time and did what you did. Truth is I would have left a tree like that to the local felling company who have the gear to drop it from the top down. You've obviously taken what I said to heart which wasn't the intention. I'm no hillbilly redneck tree feller and know what can and can't be done with trees. When houses are involved I always check, double check, and triple check the risks involved and use a winch and ropes/chains. When I'm out felling trees where personal property can't be damaged it's a totally different ballgame.
However, in my experience the vast majority of Arborists, who I enjoy watching mind you, still take too much time on the ground with simple trees, not tricky ones like in your photo - that one looked like fun and although I've dropped similar ones out in the open I'd never touch one like that next to a house - I know my limitations and would rather have someone with better insurance take it on :cheers:
Kudos to you and I'm not here trying to step on the toes of guys such as yourself.

In situations like the photo you can bet my left nut I'd have taken my time and did what you did. Truth is I would have left a tree like that to the local felling company who have the gear to drop it from the top down. You've obviously taken what I said to heart which wasn't the intention. I'm no hillbilly redneck tree feller and know what can and can't be done with trees. When houses are involved I always check, double check, and triple check the risks involved and use a winch and ropes/chains. When I'm out felling trees where personal property can't be damaged it's a totally different ballgame.
However, in my experience the vast majority of Arborists, who I enjoy watching mind you, still take too much time on the ground with simple trees, not tricky ones like in your photo - that one looked like fun and although I've dropped similar ones out in the open I'd never touch one like that next to a house - I know my limitations and would rather have someone with better insurance take it on :cheers:
Kudos to you and I'm not here trying to step on the toes of guys such as yourself.

It is all good, I have a lot of felling experience from cutting new rows for powerlines. I know where I can boogie and when to put the brakes on too. Many times on my new rows it was merely woods so the only reason to take any time was if it was to be cleaned up which was rare. I would cut 30 foot rows very fast with merely a wedge and saw; miles of it makes you efficient over the course of many years. Just as you have pointed out you are not an ordinary feller many arborists do not fit that mold either.

Last edited:
That lumberjack stuff is just treework without any climbing and no houses next to the tree. How hard can that be?? Watch axman and find out. What a joke.

That lumberjack stuff is just treework without any climbing and no houses next to the tree. How hard can that be?? Watch axman and find out. What a joke.

I agree. With the tree job I have going on a commercial citrus/avocado/winegrape orchard I have just passed the 7,500 tree mark ranging from small (8") trunks and 40' tall to 48" and 120' tall (windbreak Casuarinas). I have been averaging 41 trees per hour, felling only with wedges and the very odd vehicle tow over. There are numerous valves, irrigation filters etc that I have to miss. Some runs of over 100 trees have had to be dropped on top of one another (they have a 2-3m spacing) so that the headlands either side can be accessed by vehicles. I probably have another 7,500 to go across another 3 properties for this company.
Around houses if you think you can put a tree on the ground at that speed you're looking for trouble.
After the amount of trees I've dropped, including a LOT of tricky bifurcated trunks plus split trunks I think/hope I've got my eye in ;) Tree felling is certainly NOT something you can learn from a book or TV show - Axemen sucks. I don't mind watching Heli Loggers though :)
In saying that I've had a few go astray too but luckily very little damage, always by cutting through too much hingewood or with gusty winds changing direction. I'd never touch a tricky tree near a house in winds like I've cut in on this property.

Last edited:
I agree. With the tree job I have going on a commercial citrus/avocado/winegrape orchard I have just passed the 7,500 tree mark ranging from small (8") trunks and 40' tall to 48" and 120' tall (windbreak Casuarinas). I have been averaging 41 trees per hour, felling only with wedges and the very odd vehicle tow over. There are numerous valves, irrigation filters etc that I have to miss. Some runs of over 100 trees have had to be dropped on top of one another (they have a 2-3m spacing) so that the headlands either side can be accessed by vehicles. I probably have another 7,500 to go across another 3 properties for this company.
Around houses if you think you can put a tree on the ground at that speed you're looking for trouble.
After the amount of trees I've dropped, including a LOT of tricky bifurcated trunks plus split trunks I think/hope I've got my eye in ;) Tree felling is certainly NOT something you can learn from a book or TV show - Axemen sucks. I don't mind watching Heli Loggers though :)
In saying that I've had a few go astray too but luckily very little damage, always by cutting through too much hingewood or with gusty winds changing direction. I'd never touch a tricky tree near a house in winds like I've cut in on this property.

Sounds like some of our new rows, repetitive cutting is tiring, not necessarily as difficult but definitely have to keep them dropping to see headway:monkey:

Same place for how gay your "felling compilation" video is.
Not that I'm taking up for Murph but I haven't seen any lumberjack videos that have wowwed me either, seems like a alot of fancy names for dropping wood , but sometimes the doers want to complicate things to appear more experienced , but when I watch axemen and the guy has no teeth explaining to me how important his job is I really wonder:monkey:Its hard to validate when he can't learn alittle hygiene

... but when I watch axemen and the guy has no teeth explaining to me how important his job is I really wonder:monkey:Its hard to validate when he can't learn alittle hygiene

It wasn't poor hygiene, he lost those teeth cutting springpoles off a freshly downed tree walking down the trunk cutting them with his 42" bar.

I can't figure out why those guys don't have a couple of smaller saws on the job. I would much rather carry two saws to the job than just one behemoth saw all day long.

It wasn't poor hygiene, he lost those teeth cutting springpoles off a freshly downed tree walking down the trunk cutting them with his 42" bar.

I can't figure out why those guys don't have a couple of smaller saws on the job. I would much rather carry two saws to the job than just one behemoth saw all day long.

I would not expect an arborist to understand the consept of a timber faller running one saw in the woods......:monkey:

Latest posts

Back