Felling poll - Have your say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you fell these palms?

• Total voters
this is what I was talking about Rope. Maybe 300 to 500 to 1000 lb plus chunks

I caught it finally lol, I was not explanatory enough about the size chunks I was wedging sorry for my usual inadequate writing ability. I slant them large 40"chunks too I can usually push a decent size chunk off a level cut though.

If the crane can't make it here it is in action if you have the patience to wait til the end. Other vids have bigger trees getting blocks getting pushed but this one looks like a real impacted molar.

I have a block pusher laying against the wall in the room next to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf5ixX-4N0s&feature=PlayList&p=2B8207612C2D956D&index=7

Wow I think I would have just picked them up and thrown those if I had to go through that.
I suppose if there was no area to put anything it would be a way. I don't like blocking big stuff but would likely block out four foot sections before doing that. Do you use it much? Here our landscape is either rough rock or imported topsoil so many times being delicate with the land scape is un-necessary. I have also bid jobs to include landscape repair or necessary precautions.

You don't fit in well if you don't have a flawless lawn like a golf fairway and everyone paints (topcoats) their driveways so they are perfect. You don't get away with much.

I don't use the blockpusher much but it is another tool that get used sometimes.

You don't fit in well if you don't have a flawless lawn like a golf fairway and everyone paints (topcoats) their driveways so they are perfect. You don't get away with much.

I don't use the blockpusher much but it is another tool that get used sometimes.

Lmao so how would my lawn ornaments look there lol motors and cars with missing parts:monkey:

PS: we have those lawns too but they are not the norm I sorta like working in both though. If I have to go to great length such as: ornamental landscape protection and no lawn damage thery're gonna pay ropes price or get the next guy.

Last edited:
Same here.
I will admit to using a mattic for prying kerfs apart.
Had the same one for 5 yrs now.She's got a wicked looking crack along the bottom but, she's in good shape for the shape she's in.

I got a deal on four of the plastic ones and started using them and have found them great in some uses. I have done without them as well but now find I use them enough to get more after these are wore out!

Lmao so how would my lawn ornaments look there lol motors and cars with missing parts:monkey:

PS: we have those lawns too but they are not the norm I sorta like working in both though. If I have to go to great length such as: ornamental landscape protection and no lawn damage thery're gonna pay ropes price or get the next guy.

You've seen my old stuff, yours would fit right in (esp if we splash a little red orange paint on em)

This old boy been on about every lawn in this snooty town at one time or another

attachment.php

You've seen my old stuff, yours would fit right in (esp if we splash a little red orange paint on em)

This old boy been on about every lawn in this snooty town at one time or another

attachment.php

Lol that ole truck looks good anywhere imo. I just ordered another pulley and 10 loop runners and hard trap biners am I going crazy:dizzy:

PS: good to know if I ever come up to help ya in snooterville they would not run me off lol:cheers:

Lol that ole truck looks good anywhere imo. I just ordered another pulley and 10 loop runners and hard trap biners am I going crazy:dizzy:

PS: good to know if I ever come up to help ya in snooterville they would not run me off lol:cheers:

They may put up with us Rope but it is doubtful we will ever put up with all of them.:)

Not sure just what you are saying.....Tree fellers (and some part time arborists like you) can drop a stick better than an arborist? Or just a below average arborist?

I think you inaccurately portray small tree services as not very profitable when I think sometimes they may be more profitable than million dollar companies (gross) when it comes to the bottom line. A million dollar company in our vicinity is about to go belly up likely because of the flagging economy and mass overhead.

Sorry mate, I think I may have come across wrong. What I am trying to say is that qualified arborists that are used to dangling and swinging from trees all day have to analyse every single move they make to avoid plummeting to the ground. I have seen guys that are absolutely awesome in the air continue to over analyse things once they get to ground level. I believe a lot of over analysing has been done on that first Palm Tree(s) image although I realise it may have been posted as a cheap shot. Arborists that are used to swinging in trees generally do a good job at ground level, it's just that the ones I've seen take 10 times longer to drop that tree than they should. Some of them also like to boast about all these stupid fancy cuts when they're quite simply not needed. Some also have egos 500 foot tall - you're not one of them ;)

If you combined a Forestry Worker who fells trees all day with an Arborist who is good at roping etc they'd be awesome.

I have no dramas dropping trees at ground level but I believe many people have to be careful calling themselves an Arborist when they have no Arboriculture qualifications (I am not an Arborist and will never call myself one).

Example 1: I used to work for a large company installing commercial air conditioning. I have installed 100's of split systems/ducted systems from start to finish including wiring. I was as good as any of the qualified electricians or refridgeration mechanics - however, I never once called myself either of these as I had no qualifications.

Example 2: I am a qualified Agronomist with Agricultural qualifications. If someone calls themselves an Agronomist, are not qualified, and make a major error such as recommending the wrong chemical, they open themselves up to massive legal action and their arse will be in a sling. Insurance will cover mine - because I'm qualified.

All I have is basic chainsaw competency certificates and an Advanced Large Tree Felling (>6m) certificate. I am a Tree Feller, not an Arborist. I have nothing but respect for qualified Arborists. They can do stuff that I cannot although at ground level I rate myself pretty well.

What I said in regard to one man and a donkey operations was by no means linked to profitability (I agree 100% with what you wrote). What I was trying to say is that is easy to get on the internet and tart yourself as someone you're not. When I mentioned about a fellow member on this forum talking big all the time I had discovered that they do very little cutting but if you listen to them they are making $100k a year, wearing out 5 saws a month, and dropping 2,000 trees a day.

Sorry for such a long post ;)

I agree, and when I get a big tree stripped out and have a tight stick to slam I like to get it on the ground right away so it does not, like you said, become a bigger deal than it is in my mind. Sometimes it is better to get the brush all outta the way first tho so you don't bury it. But if you have a crane there....who cares.

Lmao if falling in areas that have no collateral damage it is easy to not second guess things but in between two houses, you can bet I am taking my time, notch will be clean, rope set notch placed and checked by stepping in front. Call it what you wish but it is through many years experience that, some of us, have learned the importance of careful urban felling.

PS: The thing that taught me this, was supposed loggers that have no problem felling trees on houses.

Last edited:
I always use my felling sight on my Stihls. Feller a few years ago dropped a hundred foot plus oak on a beautiful Victorian from the 1700's and embedded it right in the middle of the house and knocked the whole house crooked. Totaled.

I always use my felling sight on my Stihls. Feller a few years ago dropped a hundred foot plus oak on a beautiful Victorian from the 1700's and embedded it right in the middle of the house and knocked the whole house crooked. Totaled.

Sounds like something I would wish on my worst enemy. lol.

Sounds a bit like this one. According to the owner of the company the faller decided to cut the tree down without using a bull-line when it was tangled in the surrounding trees. Thought he would get lucky and fell it real quick probably ran through his mind. He was real lucky as it turned out and he lived to explain his disastrous choices. I felt very sorry for the owner of the company!

BTW rope whats with the rope on the tree running up to the still standing one?

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like this one. According to the owner of the company the faller decided to cut the tree down without using a bull-line when it was tangled in the surrounding trees. Thought he would get lucky and fell it real quick probably ran through his mind. He was real lucky as it turned out and he lived to explain his disastrous choices. I felt very sorry for the owner of the company!

BTW rope whats with the rope on the tree running up to the still standing one?

That rope was merely a safety back up and was tight tied to a distant tree not in the picture!
If you look hard on the ground you will see my winch cable that is hooked to my bucket behind the camera man! The rope was cinched after a good pull was put on the notched tree so if something went haywire there would still be a back-up. It was not needed but it did make me feel better I have yet to have a disastrous event and wish to remain that way.

Back