Felling tree with decay.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK, Im a Faller and certified wildlife and Danger tree assessor for wild land fires and also Havesting and Silviculture module Also. Having said that, It sure as f* doesn't make me able to assess a tree properly from a picture. Is it in limits of approach with that powerline?
how many Volts...how far away if the tree fell directly to the line? Oh you don't know that? Maybe you have to have a Certified Utility Arborist (CUA)
(LOA)It means that power can arc to that tree if it, or your tools get in 'that distance' (will very with increased KVs of the line) That means it can fry you at the stump.

Put a rope in it! Your not qualified to assess that, not sure if its doable without a rope? Its got to be a 100% thing. Not 99.8%

I'm actually pretty close to 100% with regards to figuring out the lean. After I cut them down, that is.

Yup, and after they're on the ground you just stand there looking cool and in your best manly man voice say "I meant for that to happen that way".
Or, if your voice is failing you, just glare at anybody who witnessed your latest fiasco...daring them to say something... and face up your next tree.

Back on topic...OP, hire somebody with equipment, experience, and insurance to take that tree down. Watch how they do it. Bring 'em a pizza at lunch time, pick their brain a little. You might be surprised at how willing they are to spare their knowledge and experience with you.

Yup, and after they're on the ground you just stand there looking cool and in your best manly man voice say "I meant for that to happen that way".
Or, if your voice is failing you, just glare at anybody who witnessed your latest fiasco...daring them to say something... and face up your next tree.
Chuck Norris......

I can't judge distances in your pictures, but if the tree is anywhere close to hitting one of those power lines call the power company and let them know you have a "danger tree". They will be more than happy to put it on the ground if it is in fact within reach of their lines. Ron

The power company removed and gave me all of the trees that where in danger of touching the lines. If I was home when they fell them, I would have asked to drop the tree in question.

And as for the power lines, i know all of the Information on the lines. This tree is no where near hitting the lines. You could have asked instead of saying I didn't know. Thanks.

I wanted to learn. No one even offered to come and look or nothing.

Thank you.

The power company removed and gave me all of the trees that where in danger of touching the lines. If I was home when they fell them, I would have asked to drop the tree in question.

And as for the power lines, i know all of the Information on the lines. This tree is no where near hitting the lines. You could have asked instead of saying I didn't know. Thanks.

Thank you.

You got a lot of good advice here. If you don't like the advice or if you're not learning anything you need to examine your attitude. If you ask a question on this forum you'll get answers. They may not be the answers you want but they'll be honest and based on actual experience. You need to listen. It's all here for you if you want it. Or not...your choice entirely
I wish I'd had a resource like this when I was starting out.

HS, I figured that.

1967 Tempest, I am sure that if any of the above were near Sparta, NJ they would be happy to come by and look. But they're not. BTW I checked out your ride. Pretty sweet. My older brother had a 66 Lemans with a transplanted 421. It was hot in the day - pulled the front wheels off the ground in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ate a bunch of 12 bolt rears.

Ron

Thank you.
tempest, i may be the closest but still pretty far away........i don't think any one was being smart here, you got the best advice we could give you from a snap shot.

You got a lot of good advice here. If you don't like the advice or if you're not learning anything you need to examine your attitude. If you ask a question on this forum you'll get answers. They may not be the answers you want but they'll be honest and based on actual experience. You need to listen. It's all here for you if you want it. Or not...your choice entirely
I wish I'd had a resource like this when I was starting out.
me too...............im lucky i lived thru all the mistakes.

If it were me, and my tree.

First, I would call the power company. They can either take off the two limbs closest to the lines, or the whole tree. Eventually, the tree will get the lines. After I knew what they would do, then I would deal with the tree. I've done CPR on someone that fell a tree into the powerlines.

Definetly not a beech. Could be a soft maple. That tree is not going to chair unless you really screw it up. Backcut it first about eye level. Pound a wedge in. Face it. Pound til she goes. Thats what I would do. No boring or shaving a face in it. Put a good face in it and normal backcut. Otherwise cut it with the lean. Same height though. Why does it have to go opposite the lean?

Thank you.

Your are still been ambiguous?
"The tree is no where near hitting the lines". ?????
You said "they felled all trees that were in danger or touching the line. In my experience its usually a prescription of 10 to 18ft on a '12kv to 60kv'line. So just because they didn't trim it,it doesn't mean if you fired that tree straight at that line would it hit? Or come within Limits of aprapproach (LOA) I'm saying.

My questions were legitimate. do you know how many KVs? Do you know the LOA? And if you cut a tree within limits of approach and it was heading for the conductors then would you know what to do? How to exit? What do you usually do? hop? Shuffle?and how far would you need to get to saftey?
Or would you stand there with your feet together? or apart is mabye better?
Guess you know it all, hope you don't blow your arm off or your dlck off like what happend to a guy up here.
We haven't even got to the falling part yet.
All I said is "Oh so you don't know"? I would bet 6 months wages you don't know that stuff . A little bit of satire & you cant take it. There is no dying in timber falling. Oh no thats not true there's plenty of dying. There's no crying in Timber falling! So you could have got a little more knowledge. You want to go and do the most dangerous job in north American with little experience. Your dealing with a danger tree, powerline or not, anyway, which gets me exited and I inquire about the powerlines and you get pissy.
Well I get pissy when a guy figures he should be able to do my job because he's ran a saw for a long time. (Not to say you have)Ive been alive a while to but it doesn't make me a **** star. If a guy ever smarted me off I was trying to show..well I wouldn't be showing him anymore. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one that feels that way.
I am a **** star though...lol
Look I would have been happy to do it for you if I was there free of charge.
Don't mind me, I'm harmless. I have fell some big unstable wood on remote live wire heli portable , And I've not only broke the insulators droping the conductors, I had about a couple of polls leaning good.
Mind was not on task,I shouldn't have been there with the things that just came about Im my live. I got fired from BC Hydro got suspended from the CUA and fired from my company all in 2 hours and made one big boom.

I remember It been about 11:00 am in November 2002 in Prince Rupert BC. Close to SE Alaska. The frost had just melted and everything was dripping wet. It was still foggy which makes a good chance to arc before contact with the line.
To top it off I cut myself into a potential grave as its was 100ft widening per side and I only had the front strip left which allows a buffer acting as a saftey net from tree hitting the line but I was digging my own grave
As my escape looked like a bomb went off. It wasn't Merch or salvage sadly enough(too political) as its some of the most beautiful wood. very old Yellow cedar and white wood it was a wet bog.
I discussed it with the CUA and decided we would rope the ones left as they were sketchy, another mistake As we planed the work but I didn't work the plan.I'm boasting now..lol Anyways so that was a triple fase 25 kv line (25,000 volts) the way electricity works is if you have your legs apart you become the conductor so up to 75 kv I believe you would need to be 33ft from that stump. Hop or shuffle but never seperating your feet. Well that wasn't an option so as soon as that tree slowly started to go directly for the line I
Ran like a grizzly bear over that trap,took a quick look back and estimated the time I had left to run before I needed to stop with my feet together. The last was a huge jump and landed with my feet together in a big hole with wood up to my neck then watched the fireworks. I didn't make the best decisions with the knowledge I had but just think if I didn't know what to do in that case?...at least you know this stuff, thats good.

Your are still been ambiguous?
"The tree is no where near hitting the lines?"
You said "they felled all trees that were in danger or touching the line. In my experience its usually a prescription of 10 to 18ft on a '12kv to 60kv'line. So just because they didn't trim it,it doesn't mean if you fired that tree straight at that line would it hit? Or come within Limits of aprapproach (LOA) I'm saying.

My questions were legitimate. do you know how many KVs? Do you know the LOA? And if you cut a tree within limits of approach and it was heading for the conductors then would you know what to do? How to exit? What do you usually do? hop? Shuffle?and how far would you need to get to saftey?
Or would you stand there with your feet together? or apart is mabye better?
Guess you know it all, hope you don't blow your arm off or your dlck off like what happend to a guy up here.
We haven't even got to the falling part yet.
all I said is "Oh so you don't know"? I would bet 6 months wages you don't know that stuff . A little bit of satire & you cant take it. There is no dying in timber falling. Oh no thats not true there's plenty of dying. There's no crying in Timber falling! So you could have got a little more knowledge. You want to go and do the most dangerous job in north American with little experience. Your dealing with a danger tree powerline or not, anyways which gets me exited and I inquire about the powerlines and you get pissy.
Well I get pissy when a guy figures he should be able to do my job because he's ran a saw for a long time. (Not to say you have)Ive been alive a while to but it doesn't make me a **** star. If a guy ever smarted me off I was trying to show..well I wouldn't be showing him anymore. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one that feels that way.
I am a **** star though...lol
Look I would have been happy to do it for you if I was there free of charge.
Don't mind me, I'm harmless. I have fell some big unstable wood on remote live wire heli portable , And I've not only broke the insulators droping the conductors, I had about a couple of polls leaning good.
Mind was not on task,I shouldn't have been there with the things that just came about Im my live. I got fired from BC Hydro got suspended from the CUA and fired from my company and made one big boom.
I remember It been about 11:00 am in November 2002 in Prince Rupert BC. Close to SE Alaska. The frost had just melted and everything was dripping wet. It was still foggy which makes a good chance to arc before contact with the line.
To top it off I cut myself into a potential grave as its was 100ft widening and only had the front strip left which allows a buffer acting as a saftey net from tree hitting the line but I was digging my own grave
As my escape looked like a bomb went off. It wasn't Merch or salvage sadly enough(too political) as its some of the most beautiful wood. very old Yellow cedar and white wood it was a wet bog.
I discussed it with the CUA and decided we would rope the ones left as they were sketchy, another mistake. I'm boasting now..lol Anyways so that was a triple fase 25 kv line (25,000 volts) the way electricity works is if you have your legs apart you become the conductor so up to 75 kv I believe you would need to be 33ft from that stump. Hop or shuffle but never seperating your feet. Well that wasn't an option so as soon as that tree slowly started to go directly for the line I
Ran like a grizzly bear over that trap,took a quick look back and estimated the time I had left to run before I needed to stop with my feet together. The last was a huge jump and landed with my feet together in a big hole with wood up to my neck then watched the fireworks. I didn't make the best decisions with the knowledge I had but just think if I didn't know what to do in case?...at least you know this stuff, thats good.

No more need be said to this than. Wow.

Owl

Back