firewood question for new home owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefeVTtreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys been ordering firewood for a couple of years and would like to switch to just getting full logs so i can cut and stack myself, what price could i expect to pay and how would i look up finding someone? Should i just ask my firewwod guy if he will switch?

thanks

I'd start with loggers and landclearers. Guys in central mass are getting $700-800 a triaxle right now. 6-8 cords per load.

Fierwood

The local newspapers and shoppers around here have alot of firewood ads
this time of year, split as well as 100". Postings at supermarkets ect. can
be a good source also:greenchainsaw:

Drive around find either an active logging or a construction site where they are taking down trees in many case you can take the wood for free or work out a deal with the loggers/construction crew to cut and deliver it to you

To but it striaght up figure 25% less then split

jefeVTtreeman said:
Hey guys been ordering firewood for a couple of years and would like to switch to just getting full logs so i can cut and stack myself, what price could i expect to pay and how would i look up finding someone? Should i just ask my firewwod guy if he will switch?

thanks
No don't ask your firewood guy if he will switch.
Cut out the middle man. ask where he is getting his wood from, not letting in you want to purchase some. Check out your local loggers. ask what they would sell a load of tops down to 5" and then ask what the cost would be down to 3". some bite at 3" and give a better deal.

Logs...

I do not know about VT, but here in the land of trees (Oregon) there are so many slash piles you can just go put and cut your own wood. A lot of people around here also get stacks of logs delivered and cut their own wood. Usually they are the parents of a trucker, or the daughter of a mill worker, etc. You can also order and buy logs here direct; usually the smaller stuff and culls not wanted by the mills, and species cut in clear-cuts not wanted by the mills (madrone, white oak, etc.).

Also I do not know about bugs there in VT. Here we have carpenter ants and termites that will eat any wood left on the ground as soon as it is dry (the reason that they water logs down at the mill is to keep disease and bugs out of the wood). If you have wood bugs there, you might want to pour a concrete slab to store the logs on. That way you can cut as you go, or store more logs than you have room to store as cut wood. Several neighbors of ours do that here.

Back