First post! 445e problems- stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyuss445

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Been reading on here for a while, great forum.

Have issue that's been ongoing for a few years now. It's been to the dealer a few times now. Problem seems sort of intermittent- but not. I'll try to summarize:

445e approx 6 years old, mostly used for firewood, downed trees etc. Relatively moderate use.

Started with "bog". Took it in (after carb clean) they said it just had to be tuned.

This happened twice more. Seems if that saw Sat for any amount of time (weeks to a month plus) it would bog to the point it could not be run. I was told it just needed to be tuned, told it was just the " bad" ethanol gas. Picked it up 2 weeks ago, same thing. I took it down and looked it all over and eliminated a few things. Tried to start it and it pulled VERY hard and "jerky" (fuel in crankcase I later deduced). I took it in again, they said it was timing and that they had replaced flywheel. The first flywheel didn't look bad to me (the key) but I'm a novice with 2 strokes.

Got it back, ran like a top for about 8 tanks.

Started it one after noon and it ran a bit rough and smoked a bit. Wouldn't idle. I had adjusted carb a BIT a few days prior because it was colder out (T setting). I tried to adjust and T would not affect idle at all. Saw was racing as if running out of gas but faster. I shut it off. I put new, cheap carb on, and now it (still) spits fuel out of the exhaust and will not start.

After 3 pulls with choke on, it will "start" for that split second (as you would expect) but then will not start- floods.

I tried:

-New carb
-Fuel lines look A1 (and I tested for leaks)
-New primer bulb
-New gas, new oil
-Took off flywheel- key looks fine (it's a there, not broken but a bit of it is shiny on top where it bottoms out on the keyway (?)
Cleaned everything
-Asked dealer to look for any vac leaks (it. Would idle up a very little bit when turned on its side).
-Cleaned carb
-Checked lever height (level with "base"
-checked tank vent
-checked check valve in carb
-looked at flaps on "pump"
-inspected needle and seat
-inspected anything on carb that can move
-adjusted carb via "everything all the way in and 2 turns out" method (and played from there)
-check coil (4.8 4.9 kohm and, I forget the third (I couldnt find specs online)
- pulled ground from cyl and checked for spark
-new plug
-new filter
-checked for continuity from coil to switch and switch to cylinder.
-verified functionality of switch

I'm at a loss. Beginning to lose it. Behind on winter's wood because my long lengths never showed up- decided to cut my own from my land and now saw is down. I don't trust taking it in to dealer. Always works for a bit then stops. Would like to buy another, but looking at a wheeler or tractor to help me work and a splitter. I've watched all the videos and read about everything I can find.

Wondering about carb linkage now- switch feels funny. I put choke on and when I flip it down (to put it in "high idle" as if starting when warm) the arm coming from carb butterfly engages the opposite "arm" (going beyond the first "notch" and more toward engine side. Is it supposed to go that far, then when I push the switch from choke down to "run/high idle" it comes back a few degrees and rests in the next notch (closer to handle end) keeping that butterfly open but not as much?

I know that's now why she's still over fuelling, but. Don't know now if I've fixed the over fuel issue and now it's just flooding because the linkage is bugger up and it won't run?

I'm going to lose my '****' and so is the wife- been in the shed for last few nights working on this and been in a friggin rage...God, lol. Seriously though...this is driving me nuts.

Thanks! Sorry so long winded.

I once got a mess of these. Made three runners. There was one bad coil in the lot. Spark was there but was weak.

Maybe I missed it but did you pull the muffler and/or verified that you have compression?

I once got a mess of these. Made three runners. There was one bad coil in the lot. Spark was there but was weak.

Maybe I missed it but did you pull the muffler and/or verified that you have compression?

I did pull muffler. Compression "verified" by turning wheel with plug in it. Dealer checked it properly (I assume-they said it had lots). I might be able to check it at work here. What sort of numbers am I looking for?

I did pull muffler. Compression "verified" by turning wheel with plug in it. Dealer checked it properly (I assume-they said it had lots). I might be able to check it at work here. What sort of numbers am I looking for?
Anything above 120 should suffice.

Could lead is chafed a bit but I wrapped it an insulative self-adhering tape the electricians here use. It was just enough to take the "black" off. None of the clear insulation was removed- no bare wire

I think I know someone that has one locally IIRC. May try to swing by and have a look. Maybe spark is weak, but seems pretty good. I can see it no problem in "day" light in shop. Will try to Test comp and get back. Appreciate the suggestions.

I do not have a 445 but on my 450 that is the correct position for choke (red) Fwiw my Low is set to a touch past 1 1/4 turns and High is set at 1 1/4 turns.

Had it in to local Sthil dealer and spoke to the owner and a mechanic. Turns out the saw is the wrong color . Anyway 150lbs compression. Could not check w warm engine (of course).They suspect main seals. Suggested starting with new carb, and intake boot. After that, tear it down, split the case to look at seals. (The new carb that's on it now is Chinese cheapy. They said to take it off and fire it in the trash. Some work, but too frequently they don't, adding more complications into the mix. I'm going to try to put the old Zama carb back on (with the diaphragm that came with the el-cheapo) and try that. They tell me that even with seals it should start and run (poorly).

I did manage to get it to sputter a couple times this afternoon before I left work. Fired a few revs and quit- smoked and smelled real odd. Fresh high test and brand new oil. Could be residual seafoam that I rinsed the cyl out with (I soaked it with 2stroke oil after then let it drain out).

Going to pull the ever-living crap out of that thing tonight, ha ha.

So, the coils- good or bad, yeah? No "in between" or intermittent functionality right? Gap between flywheel and magnet? Shouldn't ever vary, would it? Flywheel would have to be loose...or crank bearings totally buggered. I'm sure I'd notice that as well, and they wouldn't just let go all of a sudden either I wouldn't think.

That's what they said. Would run like crap but would at least start.

I'm going to try to upload a video of the spark just for giggles.

I did look at another 445- everything is set up and acts the way mine is/does. My plan is to by another saw (bigger for bucking firewood) and tear this saw down and rebuild. Maybe I can diagnose the problem and help someone else out who is having trouble.

Thinking about echo timber wolf ($499) echo 50cc "pro" saw (forget model), or Sthil 261 ($700 plus, I think, (or 362n which is probably more than I NEED but still not as much as I want lol)) or husq 550 which is on sale here locally - $670, $100 bucks off because of surplus inventory. He'd hoped to sell a bunch of them after the storm that passed weeks ago.

Quick update- new OEM carb. Slapped it on set H and L (thanks yooperMike for your settings- I couldn't remember where I had mine). Nothing. Won't start- doesn't even want to think about it.

Checked flywheel gap...

Could chat in ignition wire cause an issue?

Going to try to to hold 6-10mm from case/ground and see if it jumps?

if it ever runs again, I'll fill you guys in. Tha

If ignition wire is damaged then id bet that is surely your problem.

Close! Ignition lead was allowing voltage through it at the very top of the cylinder (arcing). Explains why I'd have good spark when holding against ground but won't want to light the saw- and why this seems to have been an intermittent issue over time. If it twists at all it will be far enough away from the cyl fin that it won't jump. Now that it's been running, I find it will race. Carb tune doesn't "fix" it, (idle down) so my guess is a vac leak somewhere on the thing. Intake boot, a line somewhere. I'll spray something around the suspect areas sometime and see what I can see.

Coincidentally, dealership and owner, today finally told me what I've been wanting to hear. He suggested I bring the saw in and He, the mechanic, and another fella and I, will all get together and try to figure it out. Will call Husq, do whatever. He told me that issues like this leave people stuck with not being able to get wood done when they have time, they loose confidence in the product, dealer gets bad name,etc... feel much better about the fact that they've realized how much frustration, time, and cash has been invested in this little saw.

Finally getting somewhere with this thing.

Back