Fiskars X27 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So my mom still buys us older adult kids Christmas gifts. She always wants “ideas” and if you don’t you get something dumb! So I’ve seen Thea X27 and all the rave reviews. I never bought one because I don’t like how the hollow handle looks and that I can’t attach a new one. Well I stuck one on my Christmas list for mom. I tried it out today on a half cord for myself.
The short story is I’m impressed. If the thing has good longevity I’m all in. I put it in the dirt a few times because it slices so easy. I believe the weight is perfect for power and conserving energy. The shape of the head is slim to cut like an axe, but wide enough to split. We will see how long it take the head to come off, if it goes 20 cords that’s a win for me. I really like this thing so far and I’m hard to please.

How do you guys keep the edge sharp on them? I usually run cheap axes so I just use a file on them after every cord I split.

And I will add, the handle is damned near bulletproof. One overswing and you will get a case of bumblebees in the hands that you won't forget. Makes you think twice about your next overstrike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have mine about 2 yrs and probably 10-15 cord through with it. Don’t use it as much now with the hydraulic splitter but it’s probably the best axe your gonna find for splitting in my opinion

I have had mine since they first came out. It has lived out in he elements ever since, never been sharpened, eaten lots of cords, been abused by being smacked on the flat poll many and many atime (has a small mushroom forming). Even ran over it with my garden tractor once and didn't break the handle. I du hang it upside down to keep water from filling the handle in the winter time. I am still amazed at how well it works.

So my mom still buys us older adult kids Christmas gifts. She always wants “ideas” and if you don’t you get something dumb! So I’ve seen Thea X27 and all the rave reviews. I never bought one because I don’t like how the hollow handle looks and that I can’t attach a new one. Well I stuck one on my Christmas list for mom. I tried it out today on a half cord for myself.
The short story is I’m impressed. If the thing has good longevity I’m all in. I put it in the dirt a few times because it slices so easy. I believe the weight is perfect for power and conserving energy. The shape of the head is slim to cut like an axe, but wide enough to split. We will see how long it take the head to come off, if it goes 20 cords that’s a win for me. I really like this thing so far and I’m hard to please.

How do you guys keep the edge sharp on them? I usually run cheap axes so I just use a file on them after every cord I split.
It will make it, like mine did. Just don't hit the back side with another steel tool. I sharpen mine with a good flat file.

Saw a serious low price of $38 on the internet so I ordered a backup.

I also ordered the Fiskars isocore maul just to try it alongside the x27.

I think the x27 split better than the maul.

Is the Gerber splitter the same? I got a reloading magazine that had them in there for 30 something shipped free. Looks like it may be identical just different colors.

A coworker has the Gerber version. Seemed almost identical when I looked at it. I did not swing it though.

Touched mine up out of the box because that's what I do. I use a large oil stone like for knives. Had to touch up a few times since, have a buddy that is real hard on stuff. Also why I got the hookaroon, He has broke all 3 of mine with wooden handles.

It will make it, like mine did. Just don't hit the back side with another steel tool. I sharpen mine with a good flat file.

Been hitting mine that way since day one. No damage except a slight mushroom. No, I don't whale the tar out of it but if it needs a smack to complete a split, it will get a hit on the back with the maul.

I just bought the iso core. Works well but one has to really 'man up' to swing it. Mine gets used mostly as a 'wedge on a stick', i.e., hold the handle in left hand while whaling on the back of the isocore with the 8lb sledge to bust a stubborn piece.

There are a few haters out there but not many. You can count me as a Fiskars fan boy. Most recognize it for what it is; a well designed, well built, fair priced splitting “machine”. I have a full compliment of Fiskars splitting tools. Some are going on 10 years old. I don’t go out of my way to abuse them but I don’t baby them either. No failures yet. They get left outside, I split on the ground, occasionally they get used as wedges, they are rarely sharpened.

I started with the lightweight splitting axe which is an impressive splitter in its own right. I think it is like 2.5#. I thought it was the original Fiskars Super Splitter when I bought it. It is just as effective as the heavier tools in straight grained wood.

Next I bought the Super Splitter. It’s the 4.5# 28” handled one. It is like the current X25 but with a slightly different head design. The bit isn’t quite as long. This was and still is my favorite splitting tool of all time. I have beat on the poll but I try to avoid it since this design is irreplaceable.

Then I bought the X27. I’m tall and I figured the extra length in the handle would be welcome. Oddly enough I never found it more effective than the Super Splitter. It’s not less effective, but not more. I’m not sure if the SS head design is better or if I just developed a swing that suited the shorter handle. The X27 tires out my wrists and accuracy suffers after a while. It works better with a traditional over the shoulder maul swing but it’s higher effort with a more controlled wrist snap axe swing. It is a little safer than the shorter handled splitter. If you miss it doesn’t come right for your shins.

After the X27 I bought the hatchet. I think it is the X7. Mostly it gets used for kindling. After literally almost taking off my thumb it now is used almost exclusively as a wedge on a stick with a 3# sledge. I occasionally grind the mushroom down. Most hatchets don’t tolerate this well but the Fiskars doesn’t seem to care.

My most recent Fiskars purchase was the isocore maul. It definitely works better on the gnarly stuff but it does tire me out. On straight grained stuff it sends the splits flying a ridiculous distance. Great maul though.

I have quite a few non Fiskars splitting tools. Some more expensive, some less. But I always end up using the Fiskars. I like that they work well but aren’t so precious that you think twice about leaving them in the bed of the truck

Yep, you said it. Hitting it on the pole will void the warranty. I bought mine in hopes that I wouldn't have to use the warranty but if I ever need it i don't want to shoot myself in the foot by beating it. I have never had the need to strike the pole anyways. It doesn't get stuck like traditional maul or axes.

The Iso-core maul is definitely a more traditional style and performing maul. I was hopeful it had some of the splitting magic that comes with the x27 but it doesnt. It still works well but I don't he it unless I get into wood 24" and larger. It's definitely a work out. I always felt like the x27 would benefit from being a half pound heavier and the Iso-core a pound lighter.

There are a few haters out there but not many. You can count me as a Fiskars fan boy. Most recognize it for what it is; a well designed, well built, fair priced splitting “machine”. I have a full compliment of Fiskars splitting tools. Some are going on 10 years old. I don’t go out of my way to abuse them but I don’t baby them either. No failures yet. They get left outside, I split on the ground, occasionally they get used as wedges, they are rarely sharpened.

I started with the lightweight splitting axe which is an impressive splitter in its own right. I think it is like 2.5#. I thought it was the original Fiskars Super Splitter when I bought it. It is just as effective as the heavier tools in straight grained wood.

Next I bought the Super Splitter. It’s the 4.5# 28” handled one. It is like the current X25 but with a slightly different head design. The bit isn’t quite as long. This was and still is my favorite splitting tool of all time. I have beat on the poll but I try to avoid it since this design is irreplaceable.

Then I bought the X27. I’m tall and I figured the extra length in the handle would be welcome. Oddly enough I never found it more effective than the Super Splitter. It’s not less effective, but not more. I’m not sure if the SS head design is better or if I just developed a swing that suited the shorter handle. The X27 tires out my wrists and accuracy suffers after a while. It works better with a traditional over the shoulder maul swing but it’s higher effort with a more controlled wrist snap axe swing. It is a little safer than the shorter handled splitter. If you miss it doesn’t come right for your shins.

After the X27 I bought the hatchet. I think it is the X7. Mostly it gets used for kindling. After literally almost taking off my thumb it now is used almost exclusively as a wedge on a stick with a 3# sledge. I occasionally grind the mushroom down. Most hatchets don’t tolerate this well but the Fiskars doesn’t seem to care.

My most recent Fiskars purchase was the isocore maul. It definitely works better on the gnarly stuff but it does tire me out. On straight grained stuff it sends the splits flying a ridiculous distance. Great maul though.

I have quite a few non Fiskars splitting tools. Some more expensive, some less. But I always end up using the Fiskars. I like that they work well but aren’t so precious that you think twice about leaving them in the bed of the truck
A lot of people who ha d the original super splitter with the shorter handle say it was better than any of their current splitting tools. I wish we knew why they decided to change the geometry of the tool. The x7 is dangerous lol. I have one and the handle is too short for my liking. I want to try a longer handle like the x15.

The X-27 is a well designed mass produced product that does was it was designed to do well. I'd not worry about the handle breaking, they are damn tough. You can spend upward of $500 on a axe if you seek top shelf products. The X-27 retailing under $50 is money well spent. Is it my favourite splitter among 10+ other hand forged bits, no but it performs very close to the best of them.

Back