Fiskars X27 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There good, they perform really well, their tough composite handles backed with good warranty by a company that's been around for many centuries & the axes are priced well. But...they are not hand forged, have an average steel bit and lack the feel/personality that the long time axe user desires. But I'd certainly reccomend them to folks wanting a decent good value splitter. Stihl, Husky & others also make good composite axes too. The Teflon coating is a gimmick but nobody really cares.

I bought one and was very disappointed with it. It would stike a seasoned Ash round and bounce off nary a mark on the round.
Also very disappointed after reding all the glowing reviews i wasn't hitting the same spot every time. Way people raved over it I thought it had a lazer guide for the swing and strike zone.
After trying to get just 5 20 inch seasoned rounds split with that thing I returned it to the store.

Bought a Husky splitting axe a few weeks later. I believe it has a bit more heft to it and it doesn't have a hundred thousand glowing reviews either but i feel it works a lot better. No it doesn't have a lazer gidince system either.

s-l640.jpg

It has a 30 inch handle, weighs 3.5 pounds. I wrapped mine with 1/4 inch nylon rope for about 5 inches then coated it with hot melt glue to protect the handle where they take the punishment. It split those 20 inch rounds very well and left a good dent when ity hit and didn't split on thre first whack.

Also do not buy from a dealer or derict from Husky. From $95.00 to $105.00.
only $83.00 at Amazon and maybe you can find it cheaper else where.

:D Al

There is no doubt that I’m a X27 fanboy. I bought one 2 years ago. Was super impressed. My dad and uncle were so impressed they bought one. Now we all 3 use them and only split hardwoods being mainly oak. We have all but almost retired our 8# mauls. We will take one in the woods with us to sometimes split a big gnarly round. After that the general consensus is if the X27 can’t split it then it’s not worth it.

Even big oak rounds can generally be hacked down with an X27 by going around the outside. It’s just a damn good tool.

Latest posts

Back