Flatbed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Trying to get a truck going. F450 with flatbed. Bed is shorter than truck rails. What is the max space you would allow between cab and headboard?

Tool box behind cab, cause you know you will need one anyway. Those ones under neath never seem to stay dry for very long.

+1, or even mount a small 120 V generator or small air compressor? Or extra gas tank? etc. etc.......

Ha, I got it, mount a couple propane or cng tanks there + a conversion kit for dual fuel use - they are both a dollar plus cheaper / gal and more so for diesel. Kits are a bit pricy ( mostly the tanks are the main cost) just a rambling thought- looked into it a while back for CNG . There were only 3 cng fill spots in the area none in a convenient place for me, lp on the other hand is all over the place- trick is to use the tanks from a fork lift and have a a cabinet around those and the lines out of sight as well on the truck ( to avoid those pesky road vehicle fuel taxes).

Any negatives to an auxillary fuel tank between headache rack and cab? Found one 65"x8"x17". Currently fill tractors and mowers from cans. Would be able to load with off road fuel. Also thought about a flatbar slot across top of headache rack for saws. This is a one and done for me. Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm 9" long on rails. I can cut 5" off rails without a problem. The next 4" means I have to move the gas tank...which I want to avoid. Bed is 96".

think the narrowest transfer tank is 7" and like 34 gal.

Unless you wan't something custom.
That's the width I have been looking at.....which pushes me back 3" more than I want but still makes it shorter than the full rail or different bed option....Does that make sense?

Back