Free firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea, maybe $3-5??..., but I buy a case of fire starter bricks for about $12-15ish. We keep the woodstove going 24/7 from mid October to May 1. I might use a case every 2 years...
The Duraflame seems to only work for firestarting if you use the whole thing, including the paper wrapper. With The fire starter chunks, you only need a small piece to get the fire going...

My misses goes on the hunt for branches from blow downs. She fills plastic garbage pails for fire starter. We burn skids and pallets on those one fire nights to get the chill out of the house. When I was selling firewood I took the trees on the ground to heat the house most of the winter. That red oak punk wood was hard like steel. Any blow down that was solid we burnt.

No idea, maybe $3-5??..., but I buy a case of fire starter bricks for about $12-15ish. We keep the woodstove going 24/7 from mid October to May 1. I might use a case every 2 years...
The Duraflame seems to only work for firestarting if you use the whole thing, including the paper wrapper. With The fire starter chunks, you only need a small piece to get the fire going...
I found a solution years ago where I take a couple handfulls of chainsaw shavings & fill an empty cardboard egg carton with the saw chips.
I then melt all my burnt scented candles in a pan and drizzle the melted wax over the sawdust & the cartons. Let it harden, break off individual egg sections, and boom. Best firestarter I've found... And I've showed it to enough of my friends that several now give me all their wifes burnt down candles in exchange for a few firestarters:)
I can make a couple batches out of one otherwise trash bound multi-wick candle, and it costs me nothing but time & trash:) smells good too...

all my burnt scented candles

This part had me going wtf bro, those better be diesel fuel and bacon scented candles. Hoppes #9 would also be acceptable.

give me all their wifes burnt down candles in exchange for a few firestarters:)

Then it made sense! Pun not intended.

I found a solution years ago where I take a couple handfulls of chainsaw shavings & fill an empty cardboard egg carton with the saw chips.
I then melt all my burnt scented candles in a pan and drizzle the melted wax over the sawdust & the cartons. Let it harden, break off individual egg sections, and boom. Best firestarter I've found... And I've showed it to enough of my friends that several now give me all their wifes burnt down candles in exchange for a few firestarters:)
I can make a couple batches out of one otherwise trash bound multi-wick candle, and it costs me nothing but time & trash:) smells good too...
One of the old timers at hunting camp does that trick. Works great.

I make the same firestarters, using pellet stove pellets instead of wood chips. One of these, a quick blast with the propane torch, and you can skip the kindling.

Used to buy the wax in bulk online, and eventually will have to again, but came across a cardboard box full of a bunch of tin cans full of wax at a Good Will. Kinda sketchy, I make sure to wash my hands after touching the stuff. Wonder how many hours some crackhead probably spent melting candle stubs, crayons, and Scentsy cubes down so that I could buy 30lbs of wax for $3. Set on wax for a looooooong time.

IMG_20200625_195338.jpg

This part had me going wtf bro, those better be diesel fuel and bacon scented candles. Hoppes #9 would also be acceptable.

Then it made sense! Pun not intended.
Mine are Tennessee burbon scented:) I burn them in the bathroom. It gets gnarly in there depending on what's for dinner some nights... the freebies are whatever happens to come my way, but I have had some bacon scented ones before!
A gift, but I really didn't ask for 32 of the same candle.
My girlfriend mistakenly bought a whole case instead of a single candle online for my birthday a couple years ago, I'm set for like the next 30 years at this rate...

Mine are Tennessee burbon scented:) I burn them in the bathroom. It gets gnarly in there depending on what's for dinner some nights... the freebies are whatever happens to come my way, but I have had some bacon scented ones before!
A gift, but I really didn't ask for 32 of the same candle.
My girlfriend mistakenly bought a whole case instead of a single candle online for my birthday a couple years ago, I'm set for like the next 30 years at this rate...

That maybe what she told you... "oh darn I checked the wrong box when ordering" ( Text bubble overhead) " Oh my God there is not enough scented candles that will help" ;)

Back