brakes? we don't need brakes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've drug a 48A 7E around my reasonably flat area a lot, the other drivers are what bothers me in all cases, I take brakes real serious as well so I know my rig, be it pickup and trailer, semi and lowboy, or grain trailer, I pretrip the. Took a load of corn to town a few years ago on an S Series twin screw IH with a 36' wilson grain trailer, weighed 94000, legal was 72000, we sorta over shot that one trying to finish a field up the night before.

Here's a challenge--can anyone do a quick description of a brake lining change on a Dayton dual wheel axle, 22.5 or 24.5 wheels? Requires a ~1 foot wide by 4' long piece of plywood. Under half an hour per drum, total process, if you're used to doing it. If my memory is still good, the only tools required are an axle jack, 1/2" socket, extension and ratchet, the large hex socket for the bearing retainer nuts, small hammer and punch, and a vise grip. Plus RTV and gear oil, and some grease. And new brake shoes with the cam rollers and spring kit of course. There's no heavy lifting other than what the jack does.

I was a 17 year old kid, in a 1965 chevy pickup.
Pulling into a driveway, Headed for a propane tank... and the brake pedal went to the floor.
immediately turned off the ignition, and brought the truck to a stop. Found the worn thru steel line, improvised a plug on that line, and drove it home on 3 brakes.

Colorado used to have the "brake and light" stickers. Might have helped keep some stuff off the roads. but, since it was run by people... my brother bought a 1956 chevy, and went to get a sticker... the guy asked, does it run? Yep. Does it stop? Yep. brake lights working ok? Turn signals? yep. Here is your sticker, that will be $25

anybody remember the 1300 hp comet?
UTG, comet

omfg is about right for that scenario

Back