1981 Ford Courier brakes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Bruce

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am 15 and just got my first car. It is a 1981 Ford Courier (Mazda sundowner), my grandpa bought it new and drove it daily for a long time it has 294,000 miles on it but he stopped driving it because he doesn't drive anymore and the clutch slave cylinder is having issues. I have taken it for a few drives and my brakes are pretty horrible i can push the pedal to the floor, I have bleed all of my brakes 3 times and I still can't build pressure unless I pump the brakes this makes me assume that I have a bad master cylinder or a small leak somewhere but my fluid level doesn't go down at all like I still have air in the system. Is it possible that my master cylinder is leaking internally and not actually losing any fluid? any help would be appreciated. In case anyone is wondering it has a 2.3 "Lima" and 5 speed transmission, front disc brakes and rear drums.

If you don't see any leaks I would replace the master cylinder since it is so old. Also dirt may be absorbing a small leak that you cant see not allowing the pressure to build. Pull the rear drums and also look for leaks with the wheel cylinders.

Latest posts

Back