Gas smell proof box for trunk chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCullocutter

Professional Amateur Hooligan
Reaction score
I need to take a chainsaw with me on a long road trip. Does anyone have any ideas how to have it in a box that won’t make the car smell like gas?

Looks like double trash bag contractor grade is the way to go.

I need to take a chainsaw with me on a long road trip. Does anyone have any ideas how to have it in a box that won’t make the car smell like gas?
Air tight is what you need. No box I know of can achieve this but putting the powerhead inside two heavy duty garbage bags has worked for me. Put the first bag over the saw and expell all the trapped air possible, seal the top, pull the next bag over the saw in opposite direction, seal it up with tape if necessary.

I have used a pelican case with great results, and also used a cooler.
Make sure the cooler has a good rubber seal.

Most of the time I don't box my saws, I typically clean the outside of the saw really well, or drain & stuff a piece of old T shirt in the tank if I am really worried & that eliminates any gas smell.
Most of my newer saws caps seal well, and don't stink as long as the outside of the saw is clean even with fuel in the tank.

If draining isnt an option... A good locking cooler may help

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Looks like double trash bag contractor grade is the way to go.

The other option is take your pickup. Put the saw in the locked cab when not driving

Keep it cold.

The fuel will only vent if it warms up, if you've a leak, that's different issue.

The decent solution is to get a rear hitch basket and a metal box to put your saw in. Putting it inside a vehicle is a bad idea unless you like wearing a parka and exercising your air conditioning.

Be careful about using trash bags. Very easy to make sparks from static electricity, especially this time of year with the really dry air.

Use Motomix, it doesn’t have any of the horrible aromatics, it keeps long term and doesn’t smell. In fact my partner who hates the smell of unleaded can’t even notice it and I have 5 chainsaws in my office with cans of Motomix and tanks full of the stuff.

I just toss my Stihl in the back of my Subaru. Even being a wagon, so we're in the same compartment as the saw, it's not a big deal. Unless you have someone who's particularly sensitive or your saw leaks fuel, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Latest posts

Back