gearing on my new bike saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minermike

Chain saw freek
Reaction score
this was my first season running my new saw. i have raced it in the unlimmited class hot start one cut with a 36 in bar. i have changed to short bar 24in and 404 high tooth. i have been running a 15 tooth sprocket with the big bar but dont know how big to go with the short one. We will be doing 3 cut cold start at some shows next year in 20 in wood. is 20 tooth
out of the norm. its a 322 honda. fresh and real strong. 50 plus hp.

thanks im a newbee to bike saws and have just gotten over the let go and run phase when this thing comes up on the pipe. no one local to get ideas from. i got the only one for miles.
image00000006.jpeg

Attachments

• file00000107.pdf
    374.6 KB · Views: 12
What are you using for a carb?

I built a Husqvarna cr390 dirtbike and replaced the mikuni 38mm carb with a 40mm mikuni carb. Went two sizes smaller on the needle jet, added the thunder products UFO on the bottom of the carb slide. Plus smaller jets. She became a rocket.

I just ordered the material to build a frame so I can balance the rotating assemblies on two stroke saws. And bikes.

Would 50hp know the difference between a 36" b/c or a 24". I think the size of the wood & H.P is what will dictate what sprocket to run. 20T sprockets create scary chain speeds. Stay safe.

Would 50hp know the difference between a 36" b/c or a 24". I think the size of the wood & H.P is what will dictate what sprocket to run. 20T sprockets create scary chain speeds. Stay safe.
yes i see your point. i have been training with the 15 thats on it for weeks. its a scary ***** as is. i have a 20 but i need to get a chain for it. i have been building mac's for other classes and they suck up all your money. when they are done ill get the guys at longbar to make me a chain for this gear. thanks for the advice. like i said im the only one up here that does this and im a newbee. learning curve is wat different than go cart saws--- fun though

i have a 40

I built a Husqvarna cr390 dirtbike and replaced the mikuni 38mm carb with a 40mm mikuni carb. Went two sizes smaller on the needle jet, added the thunder products UFO on the bottom of the carb slide. Plus smaller jets. She became a rocket.

I just ordered the material to build a frame so I can balance the rotating assemblies on two stroke saws. And bikes.

i have a 40 on it. jet ski type. rejetted also. 2 down on the big end.

i have a 40

i have a 40 on it. jet ski type. rejetted also. 2 down on the big end.

Back