Gloves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outriggers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What gloves do you find best for handling wood? I can wear holes in the fingers of leather gloves stacking a 1/2 cord of firewood. I have put duct tape on the fingers to help extend their life. I tried the rubber ones but they don't breath and my hands sweat on the inside. Doug

What gloves do you find best for handling wood? I can wear holes in the fingers of leather gloves stacking a 1/2 cord of firewood. I have put duct tape on the fingers to help extend their life. I tried the rubber ones but they don't breath and my hands sweat on the inside. Doug

yup

so i buy 15 pair of the yellow ones from TSC for $10 and keep a rotation going

as i use a pair, the other 14 are drying.

and 15 pair gives me 'time' before i need to replenish my stock.

and they're cotton, dry out fast on the stove/OWB's HX's, truck dashboard, exhause pipe, intake manifold, the list continues....

Pigskin from Northern Tool will outlast regular leather by a looong way.

Do NOT get the CAT branded "pigskin" insulated gloves. They are paper thin! They'll wear through in about two good wheelbarrows of wood! :dizzy:

I am currently trying their Boss Frosty rubber gloves. Yeah, they sweat some, but if you are working, your hands stay warm. They are holding up well, too.

So far, anyway.

These Never Wear Out...

These may be a bit susceptible to rust, but they never wear out and are the only ones I know that last forever.

SteelGloves.gif

A little hard to find and put on, but they were invented sometime around the 12th century, so they are a tried and proven product. They are supposed to also work well to protect your fingers while operating a log splitter.

Last edited:
How about some waterproof ones while we are talking about gloves. What I want is an uninsulated waterproof leather glove. Any ideas?

I use the mechanics gloves. When I find them on sale for around $4 a pair, I usually buy $20 worth. The seem to last a pretty good amount of time. The current ones that are lasting really well are by Firm Grip. They have mutiple layers of material, so even when you wear through the first layer your fingers aren't sticking through.

How about some waterproof ones while we are talking about gloves. What I want is an uninsulated waterproof leather glove. Any ideas?

i've gotten by with the glove in the glove trick...

i bought some bigger thick rubber waterproof ones, and stuffed thin leather ones inside those.
works good.

pull out leather and stuff in cheezy cotton if desired.

Pigskin from Northern Tool will outlast regular leather by a looong way.

Do NOT get the CAT branded "pigskin" insulated gloves. They are paper thin! They'll wear through in about two good wheelbarrows of wood! :dizzy:

I am currently trying their Boss Frosty rubber gloves. Yeah, they sweat some, but if you are working, your hands stay warm. They are holding up well, too.

So far, anyway.

Thanks for the tip, I prefer leather gloves but wear through them fast. Seems like the cloth gloves and rubberized knit gloves take more grip to keep my hand in the glove than it would to hang onto the wood barehanded.

Jack

One of the very few good things that come from china(besides beads) cotton w/red or blue rubber coating. I usually see them for sale at flea markets and some convience marts. They are very cheap.when it's cold double them up. You see most guys on construction sites wearing them.

+1 I bought a couple pair from HF and they seem to be working out pretty well for moving wood. They don't slip like leather does when it gets wet.

Ian

I have mostly been cutting dry dead ash for a couple years, the bark is very abrasive. I use cheap Ebay leather work goves to load and unload and save my good pigskin Kinco gloves for running the saw.

I've tried a few.

Pigskin.
I used a pair of deerskin that were really comfortable but they were too soft and wore very quickly. Cowhide leather is good but the boar has the tougher hide IMO.
-br

The cheapo rubber coated jobbies seem to work well if it's not really cold out.

In waterproof leather you're gonna pay, and they don't hold up well for working around saws and wood, but Hatch makes some good stuff.
http://www.hatch-corp.com/detail.aspx?pid=BG800
I used to get issued a pair annually with the spectra cut shield and the same BBP membrane in them. They ARE waterproof. They just wont hold up to the woodpile for more than half a cord.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Run a search on Dolmar gloves.

I got a pair from Cuttin' Scott last summer and ran a Comparo against a pair of Cowhide gloves.

The palms on the Dolmar gloves have pads of some sort of synthetic leather at the wear points, and they really hold up well. First pair I've had last more than several months, and I'm still not done with them.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's not the palms that wear out, it's the fingertips. Maybe we can get some made out of the same material that they make those indestructible black boxes out of. Works good for airplanes..

Ian

Western safety gloves from Harbor Freight on sale $1.49 a pair and they come in 3 sizes. Rubber coated cotton with grip es,, Lately i've been going to HD for these cheap rubber coated orange gloves. 5 pack for 5 bux. They suck for wood but are great for working on everything else. They take a beating and are cheap. I can't stand rubber gloves cause my hand sweat but some reason these don't cause that problem. Did I mention cheap.

I had the same problems you are having in terms of leather gloves wearing out all too soon. So, a couple of years ago I bought Gempler's Double Palm Leather Gloves (Item No. 21600) that are cowhide. These are heavy duty gloves that take a beating and don't wear out easily. I usually have a couple pairs in rotation at the same time and dry out the wet pairs with my Cabela's boot/glove dryer, which extends the life of the gloves. I still wear out pairs of these gloves, but it takes quite awhile. When you buy, purchase 3 dozen or more at once so you get the best price ($3.95 per pair). I can't say enough good things about these gloves. I won't wear anything else plus the price beats the more expensive pigskin ones that others have discussed in their posts.

Thanks, Just ordered some from Gempler's to try out. Ordered a few pairs of the double leather and a few of their pigskin. For today it looks like Gorilla tape over the holes in the fingers. Doug

I swear by my carhartt insulated leather gloves. Working on 6 months with them and still going strong, best 15 dollars i ever spent

Back