Gloves???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this is slightly OT, but I've always had a hell of a time finding a good pair of work gloves. The selection I've seen at the big box stores is piss poor at best and the few that I've seen at my local hardware store are either a joke ($3.99 "work gloves") or they are crazy expensive. I've tried several different pair from local stores that run in the $10 to $20 range, and a couple of them have felt good, but I find most wear holes rather quickly (usually in the trigger finger first). The cheap and thick cow hide work gloves seem to hold up a little better, but they aren't all that comfortable.

Ordering online is a real crap shoot since you can't inspect the quality or test the fit, but I'm not opposed to doing this if they come recommended.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a nice pair of reasonably priced work gloves that are comfortable, yet will hold up for more than a week or two?

Is there any "safety" gloves??

My Swedish neighbour - he is 83 but still making his own firewood (using a Husky 345) have had 2 accidents this year - cut himself in the fingers - both times i had to drive him to the hospital for surgery (a 2 x 80 mile journey) i am more than happy to help him cutting firewood - but he WANTS to do it himself - maybe i could save some trips to the hospital if i gave him a pair of "safety" gloves - but does such a thing exist?

I've seen and used Kevlar reinforced gloves before. I don't think they would stop a chainsaw (I don't know), but they might minimize the damage. I know they work well to resist knife cuts so they would likely be helpful.

Just gloves or PPE?

Just gloves, the Stihl Proscaper are my favorite. They wear like iron and are very flexible. I've found they stretch quite a bit, so now I buy one size down. After a week or so they fit like a glove. (Ouch that hurt)

A little less $ but still pretty rugged are the Carhartt work glove line.

Neither of these is cheap and neither qualifies as PPE but they do wear well.

Take Care

ENN,
I take it his left hand loses grip and ends up on the top of the bar? Stihl makes some PPE chainsaw gloves but the Engtex is on the back of the left hand for kickback protection- of course this is on the pushcut-- long way to the sprocket...
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/chain-saw-protective-gloves.html

The butchers gloves WET1 mentioned might help worn inside like liners.

There was a fellow posted a pic in this thread(I think- can't see pics at work) of a leather "boot" that attached to the front handle and you slid your hand inside- effectively keeps your hand from slipping forward- helps fight kickback or helps with a weak grip/numb left hand.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=55303&page=4&highlight=ms200t

I use a Wells Lamont 2500 for normal work glove.

2Door

I really like working with the "mechanix" series of gloves. A few others have mentioned them on here before. I like the fact they have protection where it is needed most and yet I can still handle small items with ease. They also make the "impact" gloves with gel inserts which can come in handy on a saw without AV.

No way will they stop a chain that is running but will protect while sharpening and I like them for handling the wood also. I feel that any glove that will protect you while the saw is running would be difficult at best to work with.

Sorry I can't give a price on the gloves I'm talking about. I usually grab them along with other stuff while at the parts strore.

OK - loooong response to broad question. . .

There are an unlimited number of different glove types, only a few of which are sold through local stores, because they can only stock so many. Many of the better safety supply houses have access to the full lines of industrial companies such as Best, Ansell, Magid, etc. There are also many specialty glove manufacturers.

At trade shows, many of the glove company reps have even told me that they will custom make gloves (size, fabric, coatings, etc.), if the user is willing to order a couple of dozen pairs. You can see it from their standpoint - it would cost much more than you are willing to spend to custom make one pair.

The other issue is that fit is a personal matter. You want your glove to fit like a . . . , well you get it. You want a certain level of dexterity. But this is something you have to try on to test.

So if you want a glove that you like, that fits you, that holds up, and that is not too expensive, you can spend a lot of time on glove vendor websites, try and attend some safety type expos where you can talk to the vendors, or look every time you go shopping and hope to get lucky. Buy a bunch when you find them!

There are chainsaw specific 'safety' gloves that have the same cut-resistant fabric used in chaps on the back of the left glove only (they assume that the right hand is always on the rear handle). Several chainsaw companies and vendors sell them. Just be careful - just because it says 'Stihl' or 'Husqvarna' on them, does not mean that they have the protective fabric! They sell for around $20 to $30 per pair.

I personally use 'anti-vibration' (A/V) gloves when sawing because my hands are sensitive to vibration, and chainsaw use has been linked to 'hand-arm vibration syndrome' (HAVS), 'whitefinger', and 'Raynaud's disease' - all vibration induced.

These A/V gloves also come in a number of styles, with leather palms, all fabric construction, full finger, half finger, etc. Full finger, leather palms are recommended for chainsaw use. But they have to be flexible enough to operate the trigger and switches. These typically cost $25 to $40 per pair.

Some vendors for A/V gloves:
Ergodyne http://www.ergodyne.com/
Impacto http://www.2protect.com/
Decade http://www.chaseergo.com/CHASEERG/PRODUCT/vibthum.htm

Some Stihl info on vibration:
http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/vib/english/default.htm

Philbert

I've seen and used Kevlar reinforced gloves before. I don't think they would stop a chainsaw (I don't know), but they might minimize the damage. I know they work well to resist knife cuts so they would likely be helpful.

You have to be careful with the Kevlar, Spectra, and stainless steel protective gloves designed to protect against knife cuts.

The protective fabrics in chainsaw chaps are batts of fibers that are designed to shred, tangle in the sprocket, and stall out the saw. These other types of gloves do not shred; the woven fabric could get hooked on a cutter and actually drag the user's hand and arm further into the chain.

They are intended for blades without teeth, like a knife. They are also not effective against punctures or needlesticks.

Philbert
(playing the safety guy in Minnesota)

I never wear gloves unless it is really cold. There are some cloth super grippy gloves that are nice for swinging a splitting maul, about 5.00 at Orscheln farm store. I actually like to move rocks and lumber without gloves, because it toughens my hands up for rock climbing. I like being able to grip a log, and gloves interfere with that as well.

I had a pair of elk skin gloves once, and they were supple and durable.

Gloves are such a personal thing, thing to do when you find a pair you like stock up on a few extras. I was grocery shopping at the Super store (Canada's walmart)and found a pair of work gloves they were pricey $15.00 but out lasted any glove I have ever bought plus they were comfy in really cold weather thinsulate in them. But they didn't have any next time I went back:mad: The cheap gloves from Princes Auto I ware out chopping a pickup full of wood.

I've always liked the soft leather gloves, usually yellowish brown in color. I get them a little too small and they then stretch to fit my hands. They are comfortable, durable, and only $10 to $15.

Atlas Therma Fit

Lately I've started wearing Atlas therma fit. They have some insulation material that works well to reduce felt vibration and seem to hold up well for a $3.99 pair of gloves. I don't think they offer much in the way of cut protection.

I like THESE

They're pretty flexible and have extra material on the fingertips for durability. Wear depends on what you're doing. I also use the Fast Fit Mechanix gloves. Quite a bit less durable, but they're pretty handy for working on stuff. But, gloves vary so much from person to person, I think its more of a trial and error type thing.

Lately I've started wearing Atlas therma fit. They have some insulation material that works well to reduce felt vibration and seem to hold up well for a $3.99 pair of gloves. I don't think they offer much in the way of cut protection.

+ 1 work great and last long for the price!!!!

I have used mechanix with good results but right now we found some called ####ies professionals at WallyWorld for about $9 they are black with yellow/brown goatskin leather palms. They seem to hold up pretty well so far and fit really good.

Back