Good wood handling gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am tired of going through gloves every couple of weeks, i keep buying a different kind to try and within a couple of weeks my index finger is sticking out the end, does anybody know of some really good gloves that will last. Do most guys just buy cheaper gloves and just keep throwing them away and getting a new pair?

brown jerseys

I always put two pair on.. When the outer pair gets a few holes.. I remove them and put them on over a new pair..

I'm really interested to see what you more experienced guys do on this one. It is a pet-peave of mine as well. What I currently do is buy the double layered leather ones in an attempt to help curb saw vibration as well as help them last a little longer. It still seems that they fall apart and/or my finger is sticking out before long. It's downright irritating!!

Don`t laugh and it may sound cheap BUT I can ware through a pair of gloves in a 8 hr day, when stacking and splitting hardwoods. So I wrap duct tape @ the friction points on the glove. When the Tape wares out just replace the Tape and not the glove.

I use my welding gloves, they last ages, are very warm and offer forearm protection too.

At only $5.00/pr their great valve for money, of course there are dearer ones which may last even longer but I'm happy with my cheap ones.

Rob.

I been using a pair of heavy leather gloves I got from TSC, they are dark brown, with a blue mesh across the back of the hand and wrist to breath a little. They seem to work as well as any I'v had. Got them last summer, they just started couple holes in the right middle finger now, so about at end of there life. Handling wood seems to be about as hard on gloves as anything, except maybe handling cemment block alot. Just a fact of life I guess, you have to replace your gloves and sharpen your chains..:)

I am tired of going through gloves every couple of weeks, i keep buying a different kind to try and within a couple of weeks my index finger is sticking out the end, does anybody know of some really good gloves that will last. Do most guys just buy cheaper gloves and just keep throwing them away and getting a new pair?

I've tried every glove type there is. The ONLY gloves to use for ANYTHING, anymore is the 'dipped gloves'. I can get a month min out of each pair when splittin' & stackin'. Lowes, HD and everywhere has them in different materials $3 to $10 a pair. Go there try on the ones you like, then Google for the best deal. You can get them for $10 a dozen - ain't even worth the time to duct tape those.
11D03A6QWKL._SL500_AA104_.jpg

6301771.jpg

I tried every kind of glove made but decided to stay with these. They're inexpensive in the 10packs and are a good all purpose glove.

Mechanix or Tillman. That's what I like. Found that I don't wear through the fingertips so fast if I handle each log with two hands. Easier on the carpal tunnel issue too. This method does slow you down.

Last fall I bought a cheap pair of horse hide gloves from my local chainsaw dealer. I figured for a buck a pair I couldn't go wrong.
They turned out to be a nice surprise because they wore like iron and were nice and soft even after getting wet.

Great thread , I just gave up now an take scissors and cut the worn fingers off because they annoy me ..........cut up a old bicycle inner tube and tried putting them over the fingers that get torn up but they just fall off after a few minutes, now if one could figure how to make them stay on ..........with out using duct tape !!!

^ someone here posted they put duct tape around the fingers that get holes in them. I started doing it and it works good...and the purpose of buying the cheap gloves was to just trash the holy ones ...oh well.

We buy the cheap white cotton roping gloves at TSC, they cost around 5 bucks a dozen. One pair usually last about 5 cords, they are warm, one size fits all so you can double up if it's really cold out. We've tried every leather glove over the last 30 years and they don't last long enough for the cost, same thing
with the mechanics type gloves, don't last long enough for the money.

gloves

If near KC go to Safety Glove. Just off I-35/Lamar Exit. All kinds of gloves and other safety equipment cheap.

northern gloves

so far i too have gone through quite a few pairs - i even tried a pair of the mason gloves from home depot - they didnt make it too long. i ended up springing for a set of ironclad gloves from northern tool. i think the model is ranch hand. they were expensive - i think i paid 34 n change but they have held up since the beginning of the year and are only scuffed at the main points of contact. so far so good.

Back