Good wood handling gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant' beat that price. I see they also have dyneema. I use dyneema. They are great gloves that last a long time. Feels like your not wearing gloves at all and you will never get cut

..........cut up a old bicycle inner tube and tried putting them over the fingers that get torn up but they just fall off after a few minutes, now if one could figure how to make them stay on ..........with out using duct tape !!!

Rubber cement - used to patch inner tubes. Might need a couple of layers on the gloves. Could also be used to glue on leather 'wear strips', if you felt it was worth your time.

The dipped gloves, mentioned above, come in all different types of fabrics (cotton, polyester, kevlar, etc.), fabric thicknesses, types of coatings (latex, butyl, PVC, etc.), coating thicknesses, etc . So you might get different results based on which ones you try.

The Atlas glove site that TreeCo posted shows some of these variations.

Philbert

I always liked leather gloves, and I have had some pairs over the years last a very long time. Horse hide, I believe. But now when I go to the hardware, they don't have leather work gloves, they are leather driver gloves. What's up with that?

I always wanted to try elk skin gloves, anyone have any experience? Here's a $40 pair :dizzy:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Elkskin-Roper-p-16818.html

Ha, I guess the "roper" gloves are "rider" gloves from Aerostich, but could they be "work" gloves ????

We have dollar stores around here, one of them has black rubber coated (nitrile, I believe) stretchy gloves that hold up surprisingly well for like $3.

Try these. Thick rubber gloves. They work and last a long, long time:

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/81-511-rubber-gloves-/hot-hands-pvc-coated-gloves-114055.aspx

114055_front200.jpg

I'll resist the urge of making a crack about the protective benefits of using rubber when you're workin' the wood...

and give rubber gloves a +1. Not so much for firewooding, but they were a lifesaver back when we were w/o power in the aftermath of a wicked ice storm. Had to make frequent trips with gallon jugs to the brook for flushing water. Would've been brutal doing it barehanded or with unimpervious gloves.

It seems like these would make your extremly hot and sweaty when its warm.
That's correct. They do. Your hands will not "breathe". So, you end up taking them on and off more frequently. Also, when it's cold, these provide no insulation from the cold.

Not sure which is worse, worn out finger holes or sweaty/cold hands. I am a bit surprised in this space age that companies cannot come up with gloves that wear as well as rubber gloves but still allow the moisture to pass through and provide some protection from the cold.

That's correct. They do. Your hands will not "breathe". So, you end up taking them on and off more frequently. Also, when it's cold, these provide no insulation from the cold.

Not sure which is worse, worn out finger holes or sweaty/cold hands. I am a bit surprised in this space age that companies cannot come up with gloves that wear as well as rubber gloves but still allow the moisture to pass through and provide some protection from the cold.

I found mine is a free pile after a yardsale. I tried mine cutting in a wicked cold in early Dec. and the moisture was awful. All the worse when you remove them to air out your hands. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Latest posts

Back