Grapple Rake??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends what you are planning to use it for. I bought one close to that but with curved bottom tines, I was planning to use it to load 16" splits, it did not work. I thought it might work good for brush collection, again another no go, it only opens about 30" wide. I have a $450 manure bucket with 9 tines on it, it works much better. I also have a stone rake style with vertical tines and it doesn't work as well as I would like either. they make a manure bucket about 8' wide with round tines that I think is the best for loading splits and would work good on brush too but no grapple arms. In my opinion the grapple arms really aren't that handy or needed unless you are just lifting logs with it.

I have a 72" from a different manufacturer, but very similar in style. I use it on a 72hp tractor and told my son recently it is at the top of my go to tools. I have an OWB so I burn a lot of wood, as long as they are larger than 8inches in diameter the grapple makes quick work at loading my trailers, which reduces handling. As mentioned, lifting the logs when bucking reduces back bending and hitting the bar into the dirt. Yep 35 years of cutting and that still happens. When I limb trees, piling brush takes much less time now. I use it also for keeping my fence rows in check so the cash renters are happy. I did have a hydraulic thumb on my material bucket, but I loaded as much dirt as wood onto the trailers, and not as handy at cleaning fence rows of small trees.

Have been eyeing and 84" one for a while now. Don't know if it will be that one or a Midwestern Attachments one, but a grapple is on the list . We have about 30 acres of pasture overgrown with cedars, honeylocust and hedge to clean up.

I would be using it to clean up the woods (30 acres) of fallen trees and brush. Loading up scrap metal. Loading up logs into the dump truck and also splits. I just think it would be a handy tool to have to move stuff around. Plus the construction looks like it could take everything one could throw at it.

It depends what you are planning to use it for. I bought one close to that but with curved bottom tines, I was planning to use it to load 16" splits, it did not work. I thought it might work good for brush collection, again another no go, it only opens about 30" wide. I have a $450 manure bucket with 9 tines on it, it works much better. I also have a stone rake style with vertical tines and it doesn't work as well as I would like either. they make a manure bucket about 8' wide with round tines that I think is the best for loading splits and would work good on brush too but no grapple arms. In my opinion the grapple arms really aren't that handy or needed unless you are just lifting logs with it.
What brand of manure bucket are you talking about, I need something for cleaning up brush and picking up small logs also.

That's what my mini skid grapple looks like. I really have to have a large pile to push against to fill it with brush. Otherwise I have to come down on top,then close it up to get a mouth full of the little stuff. It has, however, paid for itself in moving logs and other things.

That looks like a pretty beefy grapple. Are you putting it on a skid steer?? I have a 48" grapple on my tractor and love it. It is great for cleaning up brush, moving stones, lumber, and other large heavy objects.
I use it to stack my logs up after I skid them out of the woods. If I don't have the backhoe on, I use it to hold the logs to buck them up. I have the WR Long RBG2 48" I really enjoy using it. ( Have also built 2 stone walls with it also)

Looked all over and I don't have any of the manure fork and it's the one I use the most. There is no name on mine.
It looks like this one. I think mine is about 60" wide. They make them bigger and of course bigger is better. Mine is also missing one tine after a little battle with a too big stump. I got it out but part of the tine went flying, broke right at the bend.
manurebucket.jpg

I started out with a homemade grapple fork made out of combine concaves always was fixing on it . It worked ok. I looked and looked at all differant brand of grapples. Finally found and bought a Robo Grapple made in Ks by Circle D welding not cheap but boy is it heavy duty and opens up wide. Works great for brush and trees I have used it a bunch and it has taken the beaten well. I did buy the 8 ft but I have a S750 and it handles it well.

Thats a nice Pony Tail Palm you have in the black tub- I know it appreciates the warm house you bring it in to. Smart to build the two brackets onto the stone fork for the top clamp. If you add a slip on flat/curved wider "bar" to the stone fork clamp, you could double the pick of splits.

Latest posts

Back