"Greatwalloffire" anybody use one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acme0007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a traditional masonary fireplace and the BOSS will NOT allow me to install an insert. Don't start, it's freaking killing me mainly because I pretty much have unlimited firewood, kind of. I was looking at:
1. a fireback- thinking of just making one out of 1/2" plate, I have the tools just need the iron.
2. Getting a "Grate Wall Of Fire" fireplace grate. anybody out there use or have any experience with one?

I am not looking to heat my whole house just want to heat up the family room and such.

Thanks for the feedback but don't tell me to get an insert.

Hello,
My friend has one and loves it !!!! It kind of stacks the logs up so it's like a wall of burning wood !!!! I will say that it does throw the heat out into the room .

Henry and Wanda

We bought one for our new fireplace in our Sunroom and have only used it a few times so far, but it is well built (heavy and good welds) and throws the heat. We have a Rumford fireplace design and I'm sure that helps with the heat distribution. For the few fires we've had so far, it seems to eat some wood early until it builds up a bed of coals underneath and then we can slow the fire down a bit. The gravity feed works like a charm. I've also thought about "reversing" it to use it at a shallower angle than designed, but haven't done that yet.

Stand em up! :D

attachment.php

Get a fireback and get rid of the grate - build the fire directly on the hearth. The grate will hold the logs up and let the air flow underneath so the logs burn fast and you make no coals. The radiant heat from the coals is what heats you, not the flames. Basically, learn from the past when people heated with fireplaces. When I agree to run the fireplace people are amazed at how much heat I get out of it - but it does take a while to heat the stone around it.

Screw the boss and get an insert. She will be glad you screwed her later.

Back