ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing on shag bark hickory

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Dahmer, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Dahmer

Dahmer Addicted to ArboristSite

11C95A18-B406-4F47-BA94-3FB39086366D.jpeg What are these? Noticed them on the leaves of my shag bark hickory behind the house on the edge of the woods. I first noticed them this past Saturday and they were a pale yellow/green color, didn’t have time to take a pic. When I walked back tonite(Thursday) they now look like this. Thanks.

2. JeffGu

JeffGu Antagonist/Heckler

They're leaf galls. You know that bump you get on your skin when a mosquito bites you? This is a similar response by a tree to insect damage, although bacterial and fungal damage can also cause the response.
    By the time you see them, the guilty organism is usually long gone. They're not egg sacks or anything like that, it's just some deformed cells formed as a reaction to being chewed on. They won't harm a healthy tree. On hickory trees, they're usually caused by aphids.

Dahmer and Greenthorn like this.
  3. PJM

PJM ArboristSite Operative

Looks like hickory leaf gall. Dissect one and see if there are immature aphids inside.

Dahmer likes this.
  4. Dahmer

Dahmer Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks.

5. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Guru

Thats one of the harmless ones. No worries. My neighbor has some nasty ones that cause tip dieback.