Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My love, and fascination of Redwood's,and tree's started when I was a little boy. It is now like an addiction. I have spent countless hour's, hiking, while hunting, and just staring at big redwood's in amzement. Easily getting sidetracked. I have read every book I can get my hand's on, about logging, or just redwood tree's, and pic's. I have also spent time driving around, and hiking just trying to find a big one. Alot of time's being there for some other reason, and stumbling upon one or a few by accident. I have never fallen a ol growth, it would be a lifetime experience, so I have thought, but truel'y don't want to or think I would have the heart to. As much as I love the logging book's, and my hat's is off to the guy's who earned there stripe's doing so. It make's me proud to know a few,and share wonderfull storie's, and picture's. I think for me it was life altering, and I wouldn't have grown up the same elsewhere. I never get tire'd of them, and Jeanie, and I while out for a drive with the dog's, have made numerous stop's to look over a awesome giant. For anybody who has never been in Redwood country it is really worth the trip for you, to see the piece's of history, and time that has revolved around them. I am glad some time ago some wonderfull people, realized we neede'd to preserve some. If not I wouldn't have grown up in the same country, and wouldn't have had so many wonderfull experience's:clap:

Screw you Norm!

P.S. Love north central Ohio!

And ya, I blame Washington and the French for taking down all our big trees!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! That is too bad. You seen em in person Matt? Really a special experience, even for me, and I live here.

Looking for some Redwood pic's, can't fine em yet. Here is some god's country among Redwood's. Two seperate ranche's we hunt. Wnated to throw in John Parmeter, he is the climber in the tree. One of my best friend's, and his dad was an Old growth faller. For there family owned Parmeter logging, in Cazadero Ca.

Thats a really good post Norm. I agree w/ya thats God's country. I would really,really love to see it someday for myself.
I would imagine that you and Randymac live in beautiful country. No doubt.

I have been on a quest for the holy grail! More than once. I have a new mission this weekend, I can't find a few redwood pic's I had, and alot are on old film. So I am going to take some new pic's, and post them. I will try soon. And thank's for the compliment:rock:

My Mom is from Oregon, as a kid I went to a Family Reuinon there. Then we drove down and visited the Red Wood Forest's (and everything "Big Tree") since her family was in the logging/lumber biz. we drove thru the redwood tree (literally), we streched arms around redwood trees. It Is Absolutley Amazing how Big they Really are. I haven't been back in 30+ yrs. I hope their still thriving....

Dumb question....

I know this is probably a dumb question, but.....

The picture with the fella climbing the tree...is it pouring rain?
It sure looks like it.

BBB

The closest thing to a giant redwood I have gotten to see is a guy hollowed a section of trunk out and made a mobile camper out of it. He actually lived inside it. He had mounted it on 2 sets of axles. He would pull it to the local fairs and festivals charging an admission to enter and check it out. It was pretty nice. I'm 6' tall and could stand inside without problems. I'm a Hoosier Hillbilly that very seldom gets to see a large trees much anymore. I would love to see some of the CA redwoods.

If anyone heads this way, shoot me a line, I'll make sure you see the best of what's left.

Yep we left at least one.

scan0010.jpg

scan0008.jpg

I really hope to get out that way someday soon. I have made it as far west as the Rockies, but I really want to see the PNW. All the pics I see from out there are amazing.

Bigblockburris, good question, you are the first person to realize that. It rained on us like a SOB. But only took us a half hour on the take down. In return we got a nice 372 for 200 bucks. Randy I was hoping you would chime in! Good to see some pic's!:tongue2:

Beutiful country. I have only been ther once. You been out to sonoma county? I know some nice stand's out there hwere I grew up. Still a few good one's. Orr spring's road in Ukiah has a nice grove.

Large redwoods take on a mystical apearance. I have a 7'er and a few 9'+ ones on or near my property.
When you stand under them and can't see the tops, you realise that you are a caretaker and
not an owner. There is a 15-18' er a few miles away. The only reason that it is still there is that the top
is blown out at around 125'. Fog and/or rain really enhances the presence of these giants.

Awesome! Love to have that view from my back porch:msp_thumbup: How have you been Frank? Haven't seen you around in awhile.

Back