Harman TL300 Operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was just wanting to read other's opinions and whatnot on it. This will be the second year I've had mine in a 1700 square foot place. You ever have it kind of shoot flames and sound like a jet going up the stove pipe (read on another forum that people experienced that too)? Then have you opened the lid and have it shoot flames out?

I think I've got it figured out that it usually shoots the flames out the lid if it's say in the upper 30's and a moist day so I'm thinking the heavy cooler air doesn't let it draft as well so it kind of compresses it then when you open the lid it's like a back draft in a house fire.

The jet engine and turning wood into coals seems like a little higher moisture content of wood. I do not have my wood covered. Sometimes it's like the flame wants to run up the pipe but then you close the damper and you can't get it to burn well. I'm currently working on staging my wood in the garage area so that it won't be as damp. It's been split and stacked for just under a year so it's already pretty dry.

Seems like this stove needs really really dry wood to perform good.

Do you have any thermometers to monitor temps on yours?

What is your standard operation for the damper and vents? What size home?

Less than a year of seasoning ain't gonna cut it, you are correct in that newer stoves like dry wood. You need to work on getting at least 2 yrs ahead with cut split and stacked wood..makes a world of difference.

It's really dry for it being 10-11 months split and stacked. It started to give me trouble only after a week of rain and snow with it not being covered. I found a ton of info on another forum. I think the AB might have more of an issue than the wood. We'll see after I put some wood inside and see if it performs good again to eliminate one variable. I was just curious from other people that own them and have hands on experience.

"It started to give me trouble only after a week of rain and snow with it not being covered"

Now I know your problem is wet wood, a week of being soaked will bring the moisture content up enough to affect performance, time to get the top covered and dig deep to find a dry spot. A month of sun and wind will help if the tops covered.

I was just wanting to read other's opinions and whatnot on it. This will be the second year I've had mine in a 1700 square foot place. You ever have it kind of shoot flames and sound like a jet going up the stove pipe (read on another forum that people experienced that too)?

This is normal when you get a good AB kickoff. If you feel near the vent when it is doing this it produces more heat.

Then have you opened the lid and have it shoot flames out?
No I have never opened the lid when this is happening as it would cause the flame path to be changed to the new air opening.

I think I've got it figured out that it usually shoots the flames out the lid if it's say in the upper 30's and a moist day so I'm thinking the heavy cooler air doesn't let it draft as well so it kind of compresses it then when you open the lid it's like a back draft in a house fire.
If it is shooting flames out of the lid when the door is closed you need to have your gasket replaced as it should not do this.

The jet engine and turning wood into coals seems like a little higher moisture content of wood. I do not have my wood covered. Sometimes it's like the flame wants to run up the pipe but then you close the damper and you can't get it to burn well. I'm currently working on staging my wood in the garage area so that it won't be as damp. It's been split and stacked for just under a year so it's already pretty dry.
As for turning it into coals, when it is burning this way it is consuming all the smoke which is why it sounds like a jet engine. If it is burning the wood to fast try turning it down.

Seems like this stove needs really really dry wood to perform good.
Yes, dry wood is a must, hard woods seasoned around 2 years, soft wood seasoned around one year.

Do you have any thermometers to monitor temps on yours?
Yes, I have one on my stove top, and I have one on my pipe.
The pipe one is used to ensure that I don't overheat the pipe when trying to get the fire going.
Depending on the moisture content of my wood it might take 3-4 cycles before it is burning the way it supposed to.

What is your standard operation for the damper ad vents? What size home?
My standard operating procedures change to accommodate the moisture content of the wood and the current outside temps.
The colder it is outside and the drier the wood the more efficient the stove is.
Total sq ft is around 2K, I heat from my block basement and am bale to keep the upstairs in 70's.

Latest posts

Back