Bypass catalytic combuster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haplo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a green mountain 80 wood stove which has the three cats in it. They are clogged with ash right now so I've had the bypass open 24/7. When it warms up tomorrow I can let the fire die out and clean them out.

Is there some reason why I shouldn't leave the bypass open all the time? Would it damage the stove to pull the cats out permanently and add a damper to the pipe?

Obviously this stove was designed to run with the cats in place but is there any reason why they MUST be in there?

I would be more concerned with why they are clogged in the first place.
Admittedly I know nothing about your particular stove but I thought the whole reason for cats is to burn clean. They need to be run hot no?
ETA: Greta would be very mad at you if you remove them...............LOL
1675810252442.png

3 cats? Dang lefties getting involved with simple wood burning folks! My stove has one cat and is easily removable but efficiency goes down. Mine is a VC epa stove. With the cat and good coals it burns well and has never clogged.

3 cats?!?! That’s crazy! I can’t imagine why you would need more than 1. Im Not sure why they would clog unless your burning tires haha. I’m sure you could remove them all but it would lose a lot of efficiency.

They are in a row. I think it's because it's easier to get smaller ones in and out then to have one long one

My cat would plug very quickly, instantly, if I burned dried pine so I quit that stuff. I have to blow my cat out with air compressor every now and then to keep it open. You do lose efficiency if you take them out. My stove is over 20 years old and the tube the cat sits in is warped so I can't get a cat in any more. The cat company says to slowly heat up the cat when you start a fire to prolong it's life.

Your stove was designed to generate above the cat. Bypass will reduce heat transfer. Clean the cat and use good dry wood or buy a POTBELLY.

Attachments

• DSCF3110.JPG
    DSCF3110.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF3108.JPG
    DSCF3108.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back