Help me figure my trailers capacity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I got a free to me 5x10 single axle utility trailer. I'm not sure if its homemade, but there are no identification labels on it. It is probably the ruggedest small trailer I have seen. I would like to figure an approx. capacity. The person who gave it to me took it on a trade and isn't the original owner. He doesn't know what it was built for. It has very heavy duty ramps made of 3" C channel. I'm guessing it was for a very heavy, yet small in stature machine like a roller.

Here are some of the specs:

The trailer is 5x10 single axle
The A frame, side rails, and crossmembers are all 4" x 3/16" true C channel
The axle is 3" diameter (5,000 lbs.)
There are 8 leaf springs per side
8-14.5 load range F 12ply tires
Pintle hitch
1.5" thick x 10" oak floorboards
Crossmembers approx. 2' apart
Estimating it weighs 850-900 lbs empty
Has brakes

For comparison, here is my CAM 5x10 single axle utility trailer specs:

The trailer is 5x10 single axle
The A frame is 3" x 3/16" true C channel
2" x 2" x 3/16" angle iron side rails and crossmembers
The axle is 2.375" diameter (3,500 lbs.)
There are 4 leaf springs per side
ST205/75R15 load range C 6 ply tires
2" ball hitch
5/4 x 6 pine floorboards
Crossmembers are 2' apart
No brakes

I know the CAM trailer is rated to carry 2,260, and weighs approx. 700 lbs. The total GVW is 2960

I'm thinking the new free trailer has to be good for 4000 lbs. What do you guys think? I'd like to make some metal mesh sides. I'm thinking 2' in height, which would give me an approx. 3/4 cord capacity if stacked. My truck is rated to tow 6500 lbs.

I'd post pics, but photo bucket wants me to "upgrade"/pay money yet again, and I don't think I'm going to.

You can just upload pics right to here. Use the upload a file button.

Anyway, the payload capacity would be the axle rating minus the dry weight. So, round it up and say it weighs a thousand pounds (really a scale weight would be better though) then yeah, your capacity would be 4000#. Actually, it'd be a little more, since if the trailer weighs 5000# loaded, you should have 500# of tongue weight, and the tongue weight doesn't count against GAWR since it's not on the axle.

Back