help me identify my Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosteddsm92

Reaction score
Picked this up in running condition last week for $200. Already had to replace the pull rope assembly and now it doesn't seem to be producing spark so a new ignition is on order. Anyway, could use your help in determining if it's a 10 or 12mm saw. Some things point to 10mm, some 12mm. It has a black control switch, a flippy cap for the bar oil, a regular screw cap for the fuel, and slanted fins. SN# 129910733 if that helps.

Also, is there any way to remove/replace the emblem on the pull assembly? The original said Stihl Made in Germany and the replacement has 440 on it and I'd like to swap them if possible. Also, looks like a Stihl 33RSF would be best for this thing, thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• 20171015_001100.jpg
    20171015_001100.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 20171015_001051.jpg
    20171015_001051.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
The crankcase with the flippy cap indicates that the saw was born as an MS440... the tank is from an 044 - I am not sure where the air filter arrangement came from, though.

Not a bad deal at all if the saw runs as it should.

Hard to believe you only paid $200 for this saw. It runs? Brad is right. The 044 never had a flippy cap. This saw has had some work done on it. That is likely not the original OEM tank housing. Regardless, of it runs OK, use the heck out of it.

Hard to believe you only paid $200 for this saw. It runs? Brad is right. The 044 never had a flippy cap. This saw has had some work done on it. That is likely not the original OEM tank housing. Regardless, of it runs OK, use the heck out of it.
Ran fine for a couple days before I broke the pull rope. Replaced that and now I don't think I'm getting spark so I ordered an ignition for it, hopefully that does the trick.

Is it possible to put 044 and 440 case halves together? Do the halves show similar wear patterns on the front/bottom where they come together?
I guess it's possible, have you guys ever seen someone do something like that? Any issues w/this configuration? Advantages or disadvantages? Is the motor an 044 or MS440? Attached more pictures below.
20171016_234740.jpg 20171016_234809.jpg 20171016_234919.jpg 20171016_234937.jpg 20171016_235026.jpg

Hard to say from the wear on the case IMO, I think the cap and serial are the giveaway. Someone most likely built it from parts. The slant fin jugs run good stock with a muffler mod and timing advance. The comp should be around 155ish with stock squish, usually around .030'', which could be tightened for a compression bump.

Mismatching cases is a bad idea ever with the same model. There may be the slightest of differences over the years. This has got to be the worst scenario IF infact this is what happened.
Stocks are on the slide this morning.
If the saw has been running a while then I like your chances.
Personally I wouldn't be throwing good money after bad.
I know a builder that did that with a new crank full ground up and sent me off to work with a handful of ported 372 of his for sale.
I really liked this one and thought I'd run it in for a few days. It didn't make 2 days. Advantages? Not exactly. He threw about 20 cases out of mainly 365 that he prepped & mixed them all up.

The way the crankcase looks the saw has done quite a few miles with the newer half... It would have been better to get a complete new case, though. Which still is an option even now if the P/C looks OK. The surrounding parts alone are worth the initial investment.

Thanks all, I really appreciate it. I always like learning as much history of a unit that I can, I find it can be pretty interesting and helpful having the knowledge.

Back