Help: Muffler mod idea for melting chainbrake w/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a Husky 55 from the early 90's given to me. The OE chainbrake was melted/burned out by the exhaust port. I've purchased a new OE CB assembly and noticed after a tank of gas that the new handle was seared in about the same spot (marked with Sharpie; thankfully, no damage). Everyone knows this is a bad design; the port is too close to the pivot and the exhaust gasses rise straight up to the handle, even though the port is somewhat "pinched" away from it.

I made an aluminum block off plate for the side exhaust and am considering using the deflector on the front as shown. I'll drill a new exhaust hole in the front about the same area as the original side port. Is this a bad idea to have the exhaust directed down toward the split case? My muffler still has the 4-hole baffle in the side but no spark screen and no middle plate where the halves join.

Attachments

• burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 83
  • exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 81
  • idea.jpg
    idea.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 82
Only ran about half a tank today on some pine log bucking, but the saw ran really well; no louder than it was before, no stalling and plenty of power. Looks like I need to make a gasket or two, but at least the outside of my muffler won't rust out. I am running 40:1 right now. The top of the case was only marginally warm, but not so warm I couldn't keep my hand on it. Overall, I'm satisfied.
IMG_20200127_145111.jpg IMG_20200127_145248.jpg

Latest posts

Back