More Echo CS-590 Muffler Flow bench testing - Billet outlet deflector

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Team FAST

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi folks, it's been a while since I last posted any technical content, so here's an update. I was contacted by Matt of Gearhead Performance about testing some new custom machined outlet deflectors for Echo Chainsaws. Here's his contact info:

Gearhead Automotive Performance
979-703-7338
https://www.ghtuning.com/product/cnc-machined-and-upgraded-chainsaw-parts/
Testing was performed on my SuperFlow SF-110 Flow bench. It's been upgraded a bit since I last posted CS-590 muffler Flow numbers in 2016.

20220525_203546.jpg

Here's the really nicely designed exhaust outlet deflector that Matt has created. It has been designed to maximize the exhaust flow/volume yet still fit under the stock plastic and exit in the stock direction. It is CNC machined from 6061 alloy and it is a bolt on direct replacement for the OEM sheet metal deflector.

20220605_104709.jpg

Matt did a nice job with the engineering on this part. He's even done some Computational Fluid Dyanmics (CFD) modeling and we are continue to collaborate on the 590 muffler as I believe there is a way to re-engineer the stock muffler in such a way to really uncork some more performance on this saw.

IMG_20220607_180846894_sm.jpg

I flow tested the stock muffler he sent me, to obtain a baseline. I then tested a "modified stock" deflector, modified in the common way, and as I spelled out in my original thread flowbench testing these mufflers:

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...f-muffler-mod-flow-bench-measurements.299923/
The test sequence for this round of testing is as follows:

1. stock
2. modified stock deflector with screen
3. billet deflector with screen
4. billet deflector no screen
5. no deflector, no screen (not possible to operate this way on the saw....would exhaust directly into the plastic)
6. billet deflector with screen and (6) .125 holes drilled
7. billet deflector no screen and (6) .125 holes drilled
8. billet deflector with screen and (4) .1875 holes and (2) .125 holes

Relative to the rest of the engine (the carb), The muffler is airflow limited in stock form. Drilling the extra holes significantly changes the airflow, both by redirecting air bypassing the internal baffle, and by increasing the total exit flow area. Of the 6 holes drilled, the four that are closest to the exhaust port are in the first chamber of this muffler.

Pictures of each test setup:
1. Stock

20220525_203551.jpg

2. modified stock deflector (shown with no screen installed)
20220525_204315.jpg

3. Billet deflector (looks bad-ass!):
20220525_205725.jpg

4. (6) .125 holes and their locations (they have been deburred but the photos magnifies some paper towel residue on them):
20220604_222743.jpg

5. And the Final hole configuration, (4) .1875 and (2) .125:
20220604_231356.jpg

The purpose of the testing was to
a) re-validate my 2016 flow results
b) determine the benefit of the new deflector on a stock (non drilled) muffler and
c) determine how much additional flow gains can be achieved when using this new deflector with a drilled muffler.

Since this post is getting a bit long, I will put the results in a separate post.

Attachments

• IMG_20220607_180846894.jpg
    10.7 MB · Views: 5
So here are the results:
590 outlet flow graph.jpg

The billet deflector really makes a difference when you modify the muffler by drilling extra holes. This configuration flows 19 CFM.

For reference the Walbro HDA carb (19mm bore, 15.5mm venturi) on the CS-590 flows 17.6 CFM with air filter and orange cover installed.

So for a CS-590 (or 600/620P) saw with a modified muffler, a bigger carb, a ported cylinder, or all of the above, this the data shows that this deflector will really help increase power.

-erik

So are the Billet Bolt on deflectors with the screws avail for sale? with and w/o the screens? And how much? Thanks, great R&D work btw.

I just did this at no cost in 30mins give or take. Just added extra hole in muffler underneath and split the stock restricting deflector.

View attachment 994248
You will have just as much volume as the new billet deflector. When I did the 600SX muffer it was about the same as your top setup but in a one piece design. Once the center section was cut back inside the deflector base area the total area would be larger than the billet deflector above.

Not having flow numbers posted with the modified stock deflector vs the billet one seems pointless to me. Having sonic flow doesn't lend itself to any low speed bench testing of flow numbers. Others opinions may vary.

Hi folks, it's been a while since I last posted any technical content, so here's an update. I was contacted by Matt of Gearhead Performance about testing some new custom machined outlet deflectors for Echo Chainsaws. Here's his contact info:

Gearhead Automotive Performance
979-703-7338
https://www.ghtuning.com/product/cnc-machined-and-upgraded-chainsaw-parts/
Testing was performed on my SuperFlow SF-110 Flow bench. It's been upgraded a bit since I last posted CS-590 muffler Flow numbers in 2016.

View attachment 994098

Here's the really nicely designed exhaust outlet deflector that Matt has created. It has been designed to maximize the exhaust flow/volume yet still fit under the stock plastic and exit in the stock direction. It is CNC machined from 6061 alloy and it is a bolt on direct replacement for the OEM sheet metal deflector.

View attachment 994101

Matt did a nice job with the engineering on this part. He's even done some Computational Fluid Dyanmics (CFD) modeling and we are continue to collaborate on the 590 muffler as I believe there is a way to re-engineer the stock muffler in such a way to really uncork some more performance on this saw.

View attachment 994118

I flow tested the stock muffler he sent me, to obtain a baseline. I then tested a "modified stock" deflector, modified in the common way, and as I spelled out in my original thread flowbench testing these mufflers:

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...f-muffler-mod-flow-bench-measurements.299923/
The test sequence for this round of testing is as follows:

1. stock
2. modified stock deflector with screen
3. billet deflector with screen
4. billet deflector no screen
5. no deflector, no screen (not possible to operate this way on the saw....would exhaust directly into the plastic)
6. billet deflector with screen and (6) .125 holes drilled
7. billet deflector no screen and (6) .125 holes drilled
8. billet deflector with screen and (4) .1875 holes and (2) .125 holes

Relative to the rest of the engine (the carb), The muffler is airflow limited in stock form. Drilling the extra holes significantly changes the airflow, both by redirecting air bypassing the internal baffle, and by increasing the total exit flow area. Of the 6 holes drilled, the four that are closest to the exhaust port are in the first chamber of this muffler.

Pictures of each test setup:
1. Stock

View attachment 994103

2. modified stock deflector (shown with no screen installed)
View attachment 994107

3. Billet deflector (looks bad-ass!):
View attachment 994109

4. (6) .125 holes and their locations (they have been deburred but the photos magnifies some paper towel residue on them):
View attachment 994110

5. And the Final hole configuration, (4) .1875 and (2) .125:
View attachment 994114

The purpose of the testing was to
a) re-validate my 2016 flow results
b) determine the benefit of the new deflector on a stock (non drilled) muffler and
c) determine how much additional flow gains can be achieved when using this new deflector with a drilled muffler.

Since this post is getting a bit long, I will put the results in a separate post.
I just picked up one of these and am anxious to get it installed. You can tell it's well made especially when compared to some of the "dual port mufflers" people are trying to sell for $100 on eBay. The welds remind me of my 4 year old niece's finger paintings

Latest posts

Back