Echo CS-590 Timberwolf Muffler Mod - Flow bench Measurements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that just muffler modded and retune?

Yes. Its my saw with the muffler you see modded in the beginning of this thread. I removed the caps from the mixture screws and I also removed the black plastic intake plenum from the air filter.

Yes. Its my saw with the muffler you see modded in the beginning of this thread. I removed the caps from the mixture screws and I also removed the black plastic intake plenum from the air filter.

I would reccomed putting the black plastic back in, the fuel spit back will saturate the filter in no time, causing chips to stick, restricting the air flow more than the plastic piece.

I'll keep an eye on it. I went thru a little over a tank today with that tree, and didn't see any issues with the filter. My bigger concern in the chain stretch. How much wear is normal on the drive spur?

This is what mine looked like after that tank of gas:

20161009_142641.jpg

I'll keep an eye on it. I went thru a little over a tank today with that tree, and didn't see any issues with the filter. My bigger concern in the chain stretch. How much wear is normal on the drive spur?

View attachment 530531

!!!! WOW

Same pattern, just polished after 6 tanks...

I'll get a pick of mine tomorrow and compare I have more then 10 tanks on mine and feel like it looks about the same as yours still. I wish the spur would ware out so I have an excuse to replace it with the 600p rim drive.

My bigger concern in the chain stretch. How much wear is normal on the drive spur?

View attachment 530531
That seems like a lot for one tank. I've had some that barely showed a mark after many tanks.

I had one on my Earthquake that had a slightly high tooth, which I ground down and then waited for it to wear in - it seemed like it took forever.

As for the saw performance in the video - it's very hard to tell much from one short cut. It sounds to me like it is still 4-stroking until about half way through the cut, so I'm not convinced the mixture is right. I downloaded the video and did a spectrum plot last night but only a had a couple of minutes to look at it. From what I could tell the saw was only turning 8000-8500rpm, but this might be caused by a too rich mixture. I will try to look at it again this evening and pay more attention to the second half of the cut after it cleans up.

I understood the stock exhaust duration is only around 134deg, and if this is the case then it may be more of a limiting factor than the muffler flow. Although the RedMax GZ400/4000 has about the same exhaust duration, and while they are not high rpm screamers they will rev higher than that under load, so maybe it's something else.

Yep. it was four stroking initially and cleaned up in the cut. No idea what the rpms or port timing is. The saw ran great and it didn't bog down at all. Plug looked great. The CS400 I have feels like a toy compared to this saw.

!!!! WOW

Same pattern, just polished after 6 tanks...

What I meant is the wear pattern is the same, but its not removed any material (can't be felt)... their simply polished areas after 6 tanks. I do run my chain pretty tight... compared to those I see daylight under the bar.

Yep. it was four stroking initially and cleaned up in the cut. No idea what the rpms or port timing is. The saw ran great and it didn't bog down at all. Plug looked great. The CS400 I have feels like a toy compared to this saw.
Well, I was more focused on the quantitative aspects, and a 60cc saw should not come close to bogging in wood that size.

The 4-stroking appears to end just as it hits the widest part of the wood at 8s, which would make sense. I suspect that the carb with the fixed H jet in addition to the needle is borderline too rich with the opened up muffler, but it depends on how much adjustment range you have left on the H screw.

I think it looks like the no load rpm is around 11krpm right before the cut.

Great stuff! I will put a tach on my saw to validate your predictions. I will calibrate your acoustic analysis with measured data.

:)
What do you have to do to upload a video I'd love to put one of mine up for Chris to go over to compare to yours since there the same setup except I have the plastic piece in the filter still. Just sounds like yours doesn't have the RPMs mine does.

Vs

Be interested to see how these 2 compare @Chris-PA

Totally different porting strategy, real similar tune, same bar/chain/wood.

Well, I was more focused on the quantitative aspects, and a 60cc saw should not come close to bogging in wood that size.

The 4-stroking appears to end just as it hits the widest part of the wood at 8s, which would make sense. I suspect that the carb with the fixed H jet in addition to the needle is borderline too rich with the opened up muffler, but it depends on how much adjustment range you have left on the H screw.

I think it looks like the no load rpm is around 11krpm right before the cut.

Tried it out for kicks at work using our analysis software...

@Team FAST
first video (rich): 7700 RPM
second video (leaned out): 8200 RPM during the first half when it sounds like its 4-stroking and 7800 RPM when it clears up

@Red97
590 Christmas: 10,800-10,900 (first - second cut)
590 Ported: 10,400-10,900 (first - second cut)

Thank you sir.

If you have the time.

This one I know is definitely on the lean side, just curious if it showed in the wood too..

Be interested to see how these 2 compare @Chris-PA
I will look at it later this evening, but it looks like bmwpowere36m3 already got some numbers for you.

Tried it out for kicks at work using our analysis software...

@Team FAST
first video (rich): 7680 RPM
second video (leaned out): 8160 RPM during the first half when it sounds like its 4-stroking and 7800 RPM when it clears up
Yes, this is very similar to the numbers I got, depending on how long an interval I looked at. I saw a little higher, around 8k to 8.6k when I had it down to a 1/2s interval.

The 136deg exhaust duration is likely holding it back in terms of rpm, but as I wrote earlier I have saws with exhaust durations that short and they will rev higher. So I'd suspect it has the ability to rev higher if it were leaner and that the mixture is keeping it from taking full advantage of the muffler mod.

100% stock limiters and all. Just to see if the tune is the culprit on team fast saw.

I will look at it later this evening, but it looks like bmwpowere36m3 already got some numbers for you.

Yes, this is very similar to the numbers I got, depending on how long an interval I looked at. I saw a little higher, around 8k to 8.6k when I had it down to a 1/2s interval.

The 136deg exhaust duration is likely holding it back in terms of rpm, but as I wrote earlier I have saws with exhaust durations that short and they will rev higher. So I'd suspect it has the ability to rev higher if it were leaner and that the mixture is keeping it from taking full advantage of the muffler mod.

I did an average over the length of the cut. I agree, where you look at the data (point in time) and how much pressure your applying to the saw will influence the results.

Back